New clothing for next year

I have been in need for new hunting clothing for several years, upgrade from just thick fleece with windstopper. I am thinking of going with merino bases, light or medium weight wool for cooler weather, and a heavier wool layer for late season cold to arctic. I would then top off with an outer layer that is wind stopping. I know that wool is heavier than the new synthetics, but I like the properties better. Especially that it will breath better, I am typically very warm bodied. What are the holes in this system? I am mainly hunting Iowa and the Mid-West.

I am thinking of going with Sitka or Kryptek for the outer layer. I hunt both the ground and from treestands, so both patterns have positives. I could stay with the Natural Gear that I have been using for hunting the ground. I am wondering about quality that everyone has seen from what they have used. What are the thoughts about FirstLite clothing and their new pattern?

Yooper

WKR
I'm an upper midwest whitetail guy that has recently (last 1-3 years) done the same thing you're contemplating. I think I've finally settled into the systems that work best for me. Early season when temps are 50's and up I've found that my First Lite Kanabs on the bottom with some light base layers and the Labrador on top with a layer or two are perfect. 30's to 50's I run the appropriate FL base layers under the Sitka Stratus set. The Stratus is light enough to wear when it's warm, and still warm enough when it's cold due to the wind blocker layer. 30's and below I run the Sitka Fanatic series with the FL base layers. Again, the windstopper layer in the Sitka line really cuts down on the heat loss due to the winds. After hunting these sets for the last two years now I don't think there's a thing I would change with them.

OP
F
Thanks Yooper. Would you think using the Stratus all through the season with heavier wool underneath would work?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wear Drake Waterfowl bibs and MST pullovers for an outter layer. Both waterproof and wind proof. I bow hunt and gun hunt in them.

Yooper

WKR
Thanks Yooper. Would you think using the Stratus all through the season with heavier wool underneath would work?

That's a great question. I think for the right guy it could, but not sure if it would be ideal. It's really a shell in the general sense of the term. There's no real insulation. So if you had the right insulating layers underneath it could be done I'm sure. I'd be a little nervous about the sizing at that point, though. If you really intended on wearing some heavy layers underneath you'd want to size up. I've had two FL layers and a puffy underneath my jacket with no issues, but I don't think I'd want to go with much more. Same with the pants...a merino layer and a thin fleece pant underneath. Some guys just get cold easier than others and I definitely fall into that category.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the stratus year around. I just wear a primaloft or down Jacket underneath as needed. Sometimes I wear 2 primaloft jackets under it if it's really cold. I also have a pair of OR primaloft pants that I can wear under the stratus pants. It's a very versatile system for me.

I've never hunted from a treestand but I can imagine it gets rather cold.

For western hunting (intense hiking + long periods of stationary glassing) I use a base layer of some sort (synthetic or wool) plus a an insulating layer (down or synthetic) and a wind blocking layer on top.

I have a bunch of clothing so it varies, but for an example, while elk hunting last weekend I wore a kryptek base layer (sherpa hoodie) while hiking then added a FL Uncompahgre as an insulator and Sitka Jetstream for the wind.

I think you will find that putting an insulator between you base and outer layer is warmer than doubling up on wool. Lighter too.

OP
F
Thanks for the info. I am really trying to figure out what I want by the tomorrow night, with all the sales going on.

belly-deep: When I was talking about doubling up on wool it would be a base layer, then thicker wool like a coat or bibs.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
How bulky does wearing two primaloft jackets become? Do you begin to get the Marshmallow man effect?

Not bulky at all. One is 100 gm..the other 60 gm. Primaloft isn't very bulky to begin with....actually very thin for the warmth that they provide.

IdahoElk

WKR
This year I used Sitka Incinerator bibs and was extremely happy with them when it got below 30 and sitting on stand for hours.

Cdpp880

WKR
I have some of the first light gear and really like it. Their base layers cannot be beat for anything merino in my book. I like their kanab paints but the wind cuts right through them. I have their sanctuary jacket and if you are a late season bow hunter it is great. I think they make a lighter version of this jacket now and if I had to do it over I would get the lighter version and add a vest or a fleece jacket to add insulation as needed because the sanctuary jacket with just a base layer is almoast too much in anything higher than the 30s. Being that you said cold to arctic I would recommend the sanctuary jacket and bibs they are very quiet and cuts the wind great. I believe with their base layers and the sanctuary tops and bottoms you would be good down into the low 30s to upper 20s and could go colder without adding much. I have been wanting to pick up some of their soft shell pants and jacket but with the equipment I have now I think I am covered for whitetail.

Ever wear Cabelas berber fleece with the windstopper. Bought some new pieces this year. Warm, wind resistant, and very quite.
Got the new pants, pullover with the hood, and the vest for warmer days. I love that stuff. Cabellas had it all in there bargain bin a few weeks ago. Gave all my oder berber to my kid to grow into.
Wear it with a couple of base layers and have stayed very warm down to 17 degrees.
Almost I like to were the vest walking in and out to keep from building sweat. Put the pullover on after settling in

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Ever wear Cabelas berber fleece with the windstopper. Bought some new pieces this year. Warm, wind resistant, and very quite.
Got the new pants, pullover with the hood, and the vest for warmer days. I love that stuff. Cabellas had it all in there bargain bin a few weeks ago. Gave all my oder berber to my kid to grow into.
Wear it with a couple of base layers and have stayed very warm down to 17 degrees.
Almost I like to were the vest walking in and out to keep from building sweat. Put the pullover on after settling in

I have some of this stuff. I don't get cold but it is a little bulky and heavy. Doesn't matter if you're not walking far though. Got mine in the bargain cave too. Hard to go wrong with it for the price.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Don't laugh but I actually bought a pair of Finnish Military Surplus Wool pants online for 32$. For stand hunting, they are really great and damn functional with deep cargo pockets. I own a good amount of sitka gear and first lite merino wool products and I love them... but for the money, my WWII era Finnish military surplus wool pants kick ass.

mrgreen

WKR
I've been using the Kryptek Aegis System (Jacket and Bibs) for the last few seasons. I was in the stand the other day, wx= 15f and light snow. Kept me pretty comfortable, layered over Kuiu zip-off merino, Carhartt pants with a Sitka core lightweight long sleeve and 90% jacket. I keep the bibs and the jacket unzipped on the hike in, let the under layers wick any sweat away after I get settled in. Then at the first sign of a chill I zip everything up. The Aegis keeps me warm and dry, but if your moving much you'll overheat quick.

Oh, the outer material seems different. My bibs are older, they make that nylon 'swish-swish' noise while walking in any real cold. The jacket is newer and quieter, the material seems 'rougher' then the bibs.

I hope that makes sense.

When its real cold, I use a Warmbag. The only problem with that is staying awake. I don't think they make them anymore.

OP
F
Thanks for the info everyone. I did not buy any new gear and I am kind of glad I didn't. Only because FL released their new pattern.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I got the First Lite sanctuary bibs/jacket before this season and absolutely love them. Super warm and you can still draw a bow. I didn't shiver once this year, and normally I'm chattering by November. They feel like they'd get torn apart in thorns but I cut through some nasty stuff and they held up well. Can't say enough about that setup. As far as the new pattern, I still like ASAT better for breaking up an outline but I'm not a deer so who knows?

FL base layers are awesome as well, especially the EXP stuff when it's cold and the Chama hoody is excellent in any weather.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pramo

WKR
I live in the east and hunt west 2-3 weeks a year and I'm always trying to find stuff I can use for both and have found some items just don't overlap well. The main problem I run into is being a bow hunter and finding stuff that is quiet for a treestand whitetail hunt

These are the pieces I have that I think can do western and eastern well

Merino bases pick any brand I have some Kuiu, First lite and Icebreaker
Darn Tuff Socks
Sitka Cold weather hoodie
Sitka 90% jacket
Kuiu Kenai hoodie
Sitka Jetstream vest
Older Sitka Kelvin pants I wear under an outershell

Last edited: