Western Oklahoma Buck

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to sneak out to the western part of the state for a couple days of rifle hunting. A good buddies family was nice enough to let me hunt some of their property. It turned out to be a productive couple of days, the bucks were rutting big time and chasing does all over. Always thankful to be able to harvest an animal and put neat in the freezer. A nice buck is just icing on the cake!

Also I was able to get home earlier than expected. That always makes the wife happy and I was able to let my 10 month old son check out his first buck up close.

Congrats on a great buck. Curious as to how you hunted him. I just moved to Kansas from Utah and sitting in treestands isn't my thing. So I'm planning on hunting Whitetails from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on a great buck. Curious as to how you hunted him. I just moved to Kansas from Utah and sitting in treestands isn't my thing. So I'm planning on hunting Whitetails from the ground.

Hunting from stands opens up more shooting lanes and let's you see deeper into thick vegetation. Ground blinds are killer in the right spot but marginal setups will have you pulling your hair out. I seriously believe your handicapping yourself staying on the ground.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Measured him tonight, 137 4/8" gross. My second biggest ever.

If I am gun hunting, you won't catch me in a tree unless it is the absolute only way to hunt a spot. I prefer to find a spot that is a little higher than its surroundings and set up just below the peak so I'm not sky lined. I am comfortable shooting of shooting sticks to plenty far and if the shot is longer than that and I feel comfortable taking it, I should have the ability to move and get prone if need be.

Bow hunting is a whole other story. You will find me as high as possible in a tree then. Although I have had success from ground blinds before in areas with no suitable trees.

Thanks guys! Measured him tonight, 137 4/8" gross. My second biggest ever.

If I am gun hunting, you won't catch me in a tree unless it is the absolute only way to hunt a spot. I prefer to find a spot that is a little higher than its surroundings and set up just below the peak so I'm not sky lined. I am comfortable shooting of shooting sticks to plenty far and if the shot is longer than that and I feel comfortable taking it, I should have the ability to move and get prone if need be.

Bow hunting is a whole other story. You will find me as high as possible in a tree then. Although I have had success from ground blinds before in areas with no suitable trees.

Great thanks. By hunting on the ground I meant more spot and stalk style hunting rather than sitting in a tree stand or ground blind.

samj123

Lil-Rokslider
Great deer! I hunted near Erick for an evening last year. I was really surprised at the deer densities there. Coming from central/south eastern Oklahoma it wasn't what I knew as deer friendly country. White tails can live nearly anywhere though, pretty amazing animals.