PA whitetail

6a9e8da20cf2cbb6deceed9286eb8ec0.jpg
ab25bf40211d539a141e2305c42f2001.jpg
Spent the day in a tree stand hunting whitetail. No luck today, but there's always tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
it sure was a nice day to be in the woods! rain held off around my neck of the woods

elkguide

WKR
Wish that we still had a season open.............................

Probably just as well.

I do need to be at work and pay some bills so that I can hit the woods hard again come September.

OP
AK Troutbum
Western PA, Pittsburgh area. Yup, the salmon made it back in great condition, frozen rock hard. 64° here tonight at 9:30, man this weather is crazy.

moeleo

WKR
Western PA, Pittsburgh area. Yup, the salmon made it back in great condition, frozen rock hard. 64° here tonight at 9:30, man this weather is crazy.

Just think, a week and a half ago it was single digits..... supposed to get colder as the week goes by.... good luck to you, my Hoyt and I will be out and about looking to fill my last doe tag.

Wojo14

WKR
AK,
I'm from western pa around Pittsburgh as well.
i got a little 7 point on my new property with the recurve this past fall.
I struck out in Canada for moose.
~Wojo

OP
AK Troutbum
I'm not from there but my wife is and her entire family still lives in the area. We go back and visit every fall/winter. I got a text from her aunt a couple hours ago, and she said that it was 78° there today. I think she was rubbing my nose in it a little. I told her, "We'll see who gets the last laugh come July and August".

JigStick

WKR
Im from the Pittsburgh area too. The past 2 years we've had an unusually high amount of winter kill off. So far this winter we've found 5 dead fawn on our property. Last year it was about the same. Also found a dead mature 130class 8pt with no obvious sign of trauma. Not sure whats going on.

Im from the Pittsburgh area too. The past 2 years we've had an unusually high amount of winter kill off. So far this winter we've found 5 dead fawn on our property. Last year it was about the same. Also found a dead mature 130class 8pt with no obvious sign of trauma. Not sure whats going on.

That's really weird? I'm in central PA and this is the third straight mild winter for us. With such a huge acorn crop this year and little snow I would have thought most deer would do fine. Down you way you have way more deer and I would guess you get late breading resulting in some small fawns?

JigStick

WKR
Im not sure whats going on. We plant acres of food plots on our property. Corn. Brassicas. Turnips, Clover. and we have apple and pear trees as well. Lots of acorns too. The only thing we have come up with is that maybe the turnips are too harsh on their stomachs. We have TONS of deer here, but the die off is concerning.

Wojo14

WKR
We do have lots of deer in my area.
I know EHD hit hard a few years ago. JigStick, you think it might be that?
I have also read about deer getting messed up from crops too...
~Wojo

JigStick

WKR
I don't think so. if it was EHD I would think the ages of the deer we are finding would be more diverse....not just fawns. I would say is 50:50 on if we find them in our creek beds vs bedding areas. Its not like all of the ones we find are by water. I really don't have an answer. This year we are going to skip planting the turnips and brassicas and see if it makes a difference. God I wish sugar beets were legal in PA

elkyinzer

WKR
I don't think so. if it was EHD I would think the ages of the deer we are finding would be more diverse....not just fawns. I would say is 50:50 on if we find them in our creek beds vs bedding areas. Its not like all of the ones we find are by water. I really don't have an answer. This year we are going to skip planting the turnips and brassicas and see if it makes a difference. God I wish sugar beets were legal in PA

Certainly not winter kill, this winter has not been remotely bad enough for that. If there are no bullet holes and they aren't being hit by cars I'd start checking with the PGC about disease concerns...