New to shed hunting

Sodbuster

WKR
justinspicher
I want to shed hunt here, but I need the snow to melt. It'll be the first season I actually go out to specifically look for sheds. I figured why not since I'm not allowed to hunt right now.

Fun to roam around and look for them.Can you carry a rifle for Coyotes?

We have a quarter of our bucks holding still in Wisconsin. Make sure that most have dropped before you go out or you will have to re-walk spots...not very efficient. I would scout the food sources that they are using around the time they start dropping. spend most of my time walking food sources and fence rows around them. I don't really worry about bumping deer out of bedding areas around here this time of year. high hunting pressure area but 80% of the bucks that have core areas established in bedding areas this time of year will not be around in fall. I look at these months as free months and really get a feel for those spots that you will never step foot in the other 11 months out of the year.

Sodbuster

WKR
Even though we have been under a burn ban, someone let their fire get away.There is a 400 acre wetland across the creek form my house that burned all day yesterday and last night. I was over in it to day looking at the aftermath and found these.

Last edited:

Sodbuster

WKR
7a9dcc37395c30efe01bac2818e449e4.jpg
000fa4b5b39410eb86a52505eee990ab.jpg
409505a7ffb6c354948d06f1ac5aa2db.jpg
cee837a87fb7572fe445f3ee7c3283f8.jpg

"Early for one this size."

Do bigger-antlered deer shed earlier?

I saw four muleys today on a hike and three had antlers, one a small, tall fork, one a small 4 x 4, and the largest was an impressive forkie. The fourth did not have antlers, but thought I could see pedicles. I was pretty sure he was a he, and that got me thinking, do bigger antlers shed earlier? Now this post...
I suppose I'll be heading back there in a couple weeks to look for sheds.

That singed skull is cool!

Sodbuster

WKR
archer wapiti, I have always believed that the older bucks dropped later.
A few years ago during Jan. youth firearms season, a young man dropped a good buck and one side of his rack popped off when the deer hit the ground.
March is final month around here with about everyone dropping and when I see antlered bucks they are usually big ones.
That being said,saw a group of three last week all had antlers and none were very big.
Genetics and general health must be factors.