New to shed hunting

Hey gents,

I am looking for pointers on how I can find my first sheds ever. I live in Kansas and will be walking the public land (3,500 acres)near my house here shortly. The land has a creek that runs E to W that is surrounded by timber and ag. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think focusing on terrain features will be my best bet. Do I focus on the ag? The edges of the timber? The river crossings?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walk fence lines when you can. Usually good for a shed or two when they have to jump over and the jolt of landing knocks them off.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
Look anywhere there is brush, small trees, and tree limbs.That is where I have usually found them. They get knocked off while passing through.

At a couple of farms we hunt in Kansas we save a weekend to check bedding areas.
It's usually early April, but we hit it once and then stay out the rest of the time.

We've found a great deal there, but honestly I've found just as many in locations mentioned above.
Just get out there for a good walk and scout. The sheds just become an added bonus because you'll usually find new hunting areas.

I'll be going on a 3 day Kentucky scouting/shed trip middle of February to visit two public land pieces.
I cannot wait.

Good luck and have fun.

For KS, I'd wait until March to really start looking hard. I miss shed hunting and KS was great for it while I lived there. Just walk trail, food sources, grass patches, they can be anywhere. Spend a lot of time hiking and you'll find some! Best of luck!

OP
carsonkeys
Thanks all! I appreciate your guys help, goodluck this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
As mentioned above check fence lines and I would check bedding areas too. In april/may if you don't mushroom hunt start and look for them at the same time. I usually find them by chance and luck.

Sodbuster

WKR
Found one yesterday in a bedding area.
Early for one this size.
f638d5badd747edb48108757f075fca7.jpg
30878d18e43add0027c63e2095eb55fa.jpg

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good optics. I don't go shedding without my Swaro's ever. Stop and look back. I take a few steps, stop and scan, and turn around. I find 25% of my sheds after walking past them. A "rear view" look gives a different perspective/angle, and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Have fun, good luck.

LostArra

WKR
Good optics. I don't go shedding without my Swaro's ever. Stop and look back. I take a few steps, stop and scan, and turn around. I find 25% of my sheds after walking past them. A "rear view" look gives a different perspective/angle, and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Have fun, good luck.

+1 same for morels

elkyinzer

WKR
Found one yesterday in a bedding area.
Early for one this size.
f638d5badd747edb48108757f075fca7.jpg
30878d18e43add0027c63e2095eb55fa.jpg

I can't say I do much driving through known bedding areas, but to each his own! Have to say it's the first time I've ever seen that.

I'm awful at finding sheds, mushrooms, anything that takes that ground level focus. Being so awful at it, I can tell you that you have to go really slow and focus on picking apart every square inch of terrain in the likely spots.

Sodbuster

WKR
Travis Bertrand
Did the eye guard puncture your tire?

Yes,the brow tine was about four inches long and went dead center through the tire.I don't have 100 mile on them yet.

Sodbuster

WKR
les welch

Have fun, good luck.

Agreed, I scan with 10 power Swaro's too. Amazing what a person walks over or past sometime.

Sodbuster

WKR
elkyinzer
I can't say I do much driving through known bedding areas, but to each his own! Have to say it's the first time I've ever seen that.

I wasn't even looking for sheds when this one came along.I have a trail that runs along the thickest line of Blackberry briars you can imagine and heard the noise.A patch,a tube and $25 later I was running again.

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine last year.We had his Gator on top of a levee shooting elevations in order to do some dozer work when he hit one.Lost all the air right there about five miles from a house.

I made it out for a few hours last Sunday and found 4. Biggest one was at a fence crossing. Found a huge shed a few years ago on the ice of a creek. Could see perfect in the snow where the buck slipped and fell on the ice and there lay his antler. Glad we found it before the ice thawed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I want to shed hunt here, but I need the snow to melt. It'll be the first season I actually go out to specifically look for sheds. I figured why not since I'm not allowed to hunt right now.