Kill Plot Suggestion

NYSKIER

WKR
Looking to create a small backwoods kill plot. I can get an gas handheld tiller back there and seed spreader but know heavy duty stuff. I'm looking to create one L-shaped plot and one skinny plot. Both plots will be only 10 to 15 yards in width. The L plot will be about 60 yards long in one direction and 30 in the other. The skinny plot will be about 60 yards long maybe a little longer. The season opener is October 1st. Haven't been able to do a ph test yet but I will. The area will get a decent amount of sun because there is no canopy over it but it's not in the wide open since its a skinny opening in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions on what to plot? I will thinking oats and brassicas or maybe just straight clover? Just want something that will grow well because this property is two hours away so after established I can't visit it often until it's time to hunt.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Winter Rye, Dwarf Essex Rape, Forage radish, red clover. Small plots are hard to keep up, deer usually browse them hard. Use an exclusion cage, and I would leave alone thoughts of designer seed type plots....you don't have enough space. The 4 variety I mention is what I use on small plots. Oats are cool, but they will die after a good frost...Rye will continue to grow in the upper 30's and get a warm few days they get growing again. Your plots will see alot of traffic and the deer will keep them mowed. The following spring your red clove will take off and the rye will act as a nurse crop. At that point you can decide to let the clover go and get some bonus nitrogen fixing going on, or till under for a spring or late summer planting. forage radish offers something different, but you wont get bulbs unless you plant those early. Rape will be ignored until a good frost...then they will sweeten and the deer will gorge on them. I tend to plant all seeds in the same fields, it also acts against a failure of a mono planting. All seed varieties I mention will grow in poorer or low ph soils. Pull a soil test regardless and try to do some amending, it will help the next time you plant. Good luck

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I planted small plots the size your thinking of many times in northwest Wisco only to have them plucked clean before they got half an inch high. There no ag up there to speak of and lots of timber so good food gets hit hard.
Only suggestion I have is if you have any choice, east west plots will maximize you sun in the woods.
I made a few north south plots before I recognized they weren't getting much for sun and sat in the shadows all day...

I'm still learning lots about plots/habitat/management on our property every year. :)

Let us know how it works out!

bwlacy

WKR
Check out Jeff Sturgis online. Lot's of great info on his website.

I plant Oats, rye grain, Austrian winter peas, winter wheat and clover mix. Plant it all in late August, then over seed with more rye and wheat around the 3rd week of September. That should keep your plot green late into the season. I don't have any experience with rape or radishes yet.

I'm a big winter pea fan. I vow to plant more every year and it is never enough. They germinate pretty easy and grow quick. Usually I'll use that and clover in aug-sept and then in the spring you still have clover. Plant a lot of peas.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Check out Jeff Sturgis online. Lot's of great info on his website.

I plant Oats, rye grain, Austrian winter peas, winter wheat and clover mix. Plant it all in late August, then over seed with more rye and wheat around the 3rd week of September. That should keep your plot green late into the season. I don't have any experience with rape or radishes yet.

Thanks for the info I have actually read a bunch of Jeff Sturgis stuff listen to his wired to hunt podcasts as well. You think a mid mid august planting with an overseen in med to late September will do like you suggested? I'll be off after pronghorn an muleys in late august so I'll have to plant before the 20th

bwlacy

WKR
Thanks for the info I have actually read a bunch of Jeff Sturgis stuff listen to his wired to hunt podcasts as well. You think a mid mid august planting with an overseen in med to late September will do like you suggested? I'll be off after pronghorn an muleys in late august so I'll have to plant before the 20th

You can plant before or after your trip. Really depends on the weather. Try to plant just before a good rain. I've planted as late as Labor day, but would prefer a couple weeks before that. Mid August would be fine as long as the ground is ready and you are going to get some rain. Make sure and rake the seed in if you don't have a way to pack it. One thing to note. If you don't have a really good way to pack the seeds in the turkeys will eat about half! In my woods plots last year the turkeys ate about half of my rye seeds. Check in September and see how much germinated and over seed heavy if you have to. Rye and wheat are cheap.

ST52v

WKR
No, he is a sponser over on bowsite. There are several threads over there. I want to try the mineral mix. I believe the owner of bowsite has hunting ground in N.Y. and uses his stuff. Reach out to both of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like clover because it seems to hold up to heavy browsing better and I throw in some winter peas as well. I've got 4 food plots very similar to what you thinking of doing. The deer will mow them down quick. I usually plant early to mid september.