Hanging stands?

LostArra

WKR
Anyone else out sweating with stands, steps and limb saws?
Hot and dirty work but I enjoy it. I'm fortunate to hunt some private land and can have my stands up well ahead of the season opener (Oct 1).

N2TRKYS

WKR
Heck no. It's a waste of time for me to hang stands right now. I'll hang my stand a day or two before the opener on fresh buck sign.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Waste of time? My most productive stands have been hung in the same trees for 12 years? :D
Why stink up the place a day before the season?
I won't go anywhere near a few stands until the first week of November and only then with a good wind.

Murdy

WKR
It all depends on how well you know the area you are hunting. If you know it well, and since you've been there for 12 years, I'm sure you do, it makes sense to hang them as early as possible. If you don't know the area, you'd just be guessing at this point, so it would make sense to wait until you had a good grasp on what's going on (i.e., fresh sign).

Stwrt9

WKR
Def hang them early if you know the area.such as funnels and travel coridors. I usually hang a bunch of stands in places i know the deer will be and wait for particular winds and times to hunt those stands. i also like to use a climber for when i need to mix it up based on fresh sign and activity based on what i'm seeing. Best of luck and watch out for poison, i always seem to get into it this time of year.

elkyinzer

WKR
I have one climber and it goes where I go...can't get stolen, harder for guys to know where I hunt, I can follow the freshest sign, can make the necessary adjustments as foilage decreases and rut patterns develop, have over 50 stand locations marked on gps...so in short, no, I cannot emphatize haha!

On top of that a few of my hunting locations are infested with rattlesnakes and I don't particulary enjoy the swamp ass, mosquito and fly bites, and spider web facials that accompany any summer trip to the woods!

Nuke Man

WKR
Yup trail cams and stand maintenance. I hunt all private too so my stands are out all year. Some I may move or cut better shooting lanes now too. I'm like you 2-3 weeks prior to opener you won't find me in the woods.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I have one climber and it goes where I go...can't get stolen, harder for guys to know where I hunt, I can follow the freshest sign, can make the necessary adjustments as foilage decreases and rut patterns develop, have over 50 stand locations marked on gps...so in short, no, I cannot emphatize haha!

On top of that a few of my hunting locations are infested with rattlesnakes and I don't particulary enjoy the swamp ass, mosquito and fly bites, and spider web facials that accompany any summer trip to the woods!

I wish I had 50 trees that I could use my climber!

Snakes and bugs are part of the fun! Copperheads and ticks are our problems. I'm on a first name basis with some big signature spiders who make those huge webs in the same place night after night.

Murdy

WKR
Yup trail cams and stand maintenance. I hunt all private too so my stands are out all year. Some I may move or cut better shooting lanes now too. I'm like you 2-3 weeks prior to opener you won't find me in the woods.

I, unfortunately, hunt primarily good old Illinois public land. The sites where you can put out a (semi) permanent stand don't let you put them out until 2 weeks before the archery opener. It still works, but it definitely lowers the odds of getting an big (old, smart) buck. You do what you gotta!

I would look into hanging stands after the snow melts.
Good temps, no issue with bumping deer in their summer patterns, woods looks similar to November.
plus you don't have to deal with all the heat, bugs, ivy, sweat, etc.

elkyinzer

WKR
I get such a chuckle when someone says they scout this time of year for Eastern whitetails. Aside from glassing fields, its complete waste of time, probably counterproductive, and with all those other inconveniences to boot. Summer for me is ninja trailcamming and thats it. Fish, drink beer, and keep wifey happy until November. Scouting season is Dec-April with limited ninja scouting after velvets off.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
All my hunting is done on public land most areas I hunt don't allow stands to be hung until sept 1st or 15th can't remember which but doesn't really matter for me since I dont hang stands. I hunt out of a climber or hang on with sticks this allows me to hunt a lot of different areas and also not have to worry about others seeing my hunting areas or taking my stands. I prep all my rut stands in spring and my early and late season spots will be scouted prior to those times however I already have several areas that seem to produce annually early and late that don't need prepping. Also any spots that were prepped in prev years typically only req little to no touch up work.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Waste of time? My most productive stands have been hung in the same trees for 12 years? :D
Why stink up the place a day before the season?
I won't go anywhere near a few stands until the first week of November and only then with a good wind.

Cause I haven't found that it makes any difference. I also don't worry about the wind when I hunt, either. That would be a waste of energy for me, as well. Sometimes I hang lockons each time I go hunting. Screw in steps makes this very easy and fast for me.

I hunt mostly public and you can't leave stands out. I also use a climber, we have a lot of red and white oaks, poplar, hickory so finding a tree isn't too difficult, the one small private spot I have gets a ground blind and a corn pile for my kids to shoot deer off of during muzzleloader and shotgun. I bow hunt it some but deer here are wise to corn and very jumpy , they will pick you off in a tree pretty quick if you are close to one so I hunt the sneak trails along the ridge tops with my bow.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Pulling stands this weekend instead of hanging them. Family friend who has let us hunt his land since before I was born sold the farm. Pretty bummed. The mosquitos are terrible there too so should be a crappy day all around!

Climber on public land will be my setup this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang all my stands in january, February and March on private land. On public I scout areas during late winter, early spring and mark areas with my GPS and then haul a climber in those areas. I stay out of the woods this time of year except to check cameras and do some routine maintenance. Its no fun hanging stands when its 95 degrees with a heat index of 110.

Murdy

WKR
A big factor, too, is how used to humans the deer are in the area you hunt. If you don't play the wind, are you hunting in an area that's heavily used by other humans (hikers, bikers, mushroom pickers, etc.). I hunt a National Guard training site, and I'm sure the whole area stinks like human as Guard units rotate through there from about April 1 to November 1, and the deer are pretty used to it. I hang my stands right before (or even during early) season there, and it makes no difference. Different case if you are hunting private where deer see/smell humans rarely.