Whitetail opener just around the corner.

We are 12 days out from the opening of archery season here in NC. I have my private lease all set and ready to go. Game cameras have been running since May. Several shooters on camera with one real good one I would love to slip an arrow into. Buck is probably pushing 150". I have not killed a buck in 3 years. Hopefully I can hold out for him but if one of the others shows up first I will probably sling an arrow. I got two buck tags to play with.

Going to try a few new public land spots this year as well. Got drawn for some limited entry permits in a couple places I've always wanted to hunt. Doubt there are any monsters in there, but there are plenty of deer and I shouldnt have a problem filling a few doe tags. Trying out new areas is half the fun.

I have had two new bucks show up around the house in Surry County. I have only been to my spot in Forsyth once this summer, I'm gonna keep the pressure down there until season. I have a field of oats I wanna sow in the next coupl weeks. Other than that I'm gonna be hiking on public to some high ridges and low draws, halfway hunting and halfway scouting for bear season.

I have a little 6 point running around at the house. That's the biggest thing I've seen on my camera but it's only been out since the beginning of august. I'm also planning on a couple backpack trips up in pisgah. I won't get really serious until probably October. Anytime up until then will. S mostly just sitting and watching type of scouting. If I see a bruiser then maybe.😊

I've got unlimited unban hunt tags. 6 normal deer tags and drew for a muzzleloader and rifle hunt her in Arkansas. Plus I've started baiting fir bear and have a mid-October ID Mule deer hunt planned. I'm ready! Urban hunt starts 9/1.

we open october 7th. i've got one stand left to rehang that i had to take down over the summer to cut down dying ash trees around. didn't put out any cameras this year so whatever comes by will be a surprise. the bucks move so much in september around here that it's tough to get excited about what's shows up on camera anyway.

LostArra

WKR
I'm excited about the upcoming deer season as one of my daughters (adult) bought a bow this summer and will be hunting with me. She's a crack shot with her deer rifle but wanted to join me for a longer time in the woods. We start Oct 1 but I head to Wyo for elk in Sept.

150" is very big in NC! Good luck on that one for sure!
I was expecting to be still hunting elk, but will be ready for the NC archery opener for sure now! I can guarantee you I won't be seeing anything near 150" though.

OP
T
Went up to the lease yesterday to check on a few things and make sure everything is ready for opening day. Dang bears everywhere! Just about ran over one on the atv. It was just standing in the logging road when I came around the curve. Spotted a decent 9pt slipping through the laurel thickets while I was checking a stand. Probably 3.5yr old 120" buck. He will probably get a pass.

Walked a new game land today. The state just opened it to hunting this year. I've hiked it several times in the past when it closed for hunting and two times this spring since they opened it up. Very rugged and beautiful country. Didn't find a ton of deer sign but found some promising spots.

OP
T
I never specifically target them but if one shows up i shoot at it. I killed one 4 years ago in wilkes with a bow.

OP
T
Tomorrow is opening day! Weather is looking great for my area. Lows in the 40s Saturday morning.

OP
T
I'm really happy about the number of fawns I am seeing. My lease experienced a bad EHD outbreak in 2012 and we lost 75% of the deer in our area according to biologists. We have only harvested two does in the last 5 years in hopes of building the population back up. It seems to be working. Every doe I have on camera has at least one fawn. Most have two. I have two that have triplets! Last camera check showed the big boys getting out of velvet and starting to split up. Young bucks still have velvet and are grouped up. One decent 8pt still holding velvet as of yesterday. He's probably 110-115" deer. He may get shot at if he shows up tomorrow,still in velvet. He's by far not the biggest I have on camera but I would love to kill a decent buck in velvet.

Rolando

FNG
Good luck! I already filled my buck tag in KY, so I guess I'll be looking for somewhere in TN to hunt the rut.

Good luck to you NC boys tomorrow. I'll be wishing y'all luck tomorrow while I'm at the firehouse working. 😡

OP
T
Well I missed a doe opening morning. Not how I wanted to start my season but it happens. Saw 7 deer, one bear, a red fox and about 6,000 squirrels opening morning. Despite the miss it was great opening day.