Sitka Whitetail

I'm looking at dropping some money, I'm not rich though, on new clothing this year and I am trying to decide what to buy from Sitka, mainly for outer wear. I hunt all season, October to January, in NE Iowa and Wisconsin. What would you all recommend for outer garments or any special layering to make it through the whole season. Thanks.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at dropping some money, I'm not rich though, on new clothing this year and I am trying to decide what to buy from Sitka, mainly for outer wear. I hunt all season, October to January, in NE Iowa and Wisconsin. What would you all recommend for outer garments or any special layering to make it through the whole season. Thanks.

ELevated II. Core/merino skin layers, mid-hvy weight base layers, stratus outer, Fanatic over the top in real cold weather. I use this system all the way through January in WI, MN, IA,KS, ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
It's not part of Sitka's whitetail collection, but I really like the Traverse Zip-T. I usually wear it over a merino base (not Sitka, got a small collection of various items I scrounged on sales, but it all works).

I don't have any experience with Sitka, but I recently just purchased Nomad. I am pretty excited to try Nomad out, and I am impressed personally with the quality. I have yet to try in the woods. Just came in the mail the other day.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not saying the system I have is best, but it's what Iv got for now, havnt been able to try all the pieces.

Early season-mid oct.
Equinox pant
Mid or heavy weight bottom
Mid weight top and heavy weight if needed
Fanatic vest

Mid oct to December
Same base layers
Fanatic outers
Fanatic vest over it all if it's real cold
Incinerator or ballistic hat
Fanatic glove

That what Iv got for hunting wi. All works very well. My favorite piece are the fanatic vest, and thier expensive hats, the ballistic beanie is the warmest, most comfortable hat Iv ever warn.

For baselayers IMO the mid weight can't be beat for anything but real early on. Very comfortable, warm, breathable and dry very fast if you work up a sweat on the way in.

Anyways that's what I ran last year and have no plans on changing,I have no complaints, thier whitetail system is very well laid out and specialized for sitting in the stand

I would like to try the stratus stuff with heavier layering for a little more versatility but the fanatic is too nice to wear once the temps dip

Last edited:

krohboy

WKR
My personal kit for white tails is as follows.

Merino too and bottom
Heavyweight bottoms
Mock t
Fanatic hoody
Equinox pants
Celsius jacket
Merino gloves
Fanatic gloves
Stratus beanie
Merino beanie
Incinerator hat
Neck gaiter
Fanatic bibs
Fanatic jacket

This gets me through the season in MN and SD.

That being said on a budget I would look into a stratus suit and adding a fanatic vest instead of the fanatic suit. Would give you more options I believe.

OP
F
Thanks everyone. Hoping to get an order in tonight, since they are sending the money to hurricane relief. Figured I was planning on buying stuff, might as well do it now.

OP
F
Not saying the system I have is best, but it's what Iv got for now, havnt been able to try all the pieces.

Early season-mid oct.
Equinox pant
Fanatic vest

Mid oct to December
Same base layers
Fanatic outers
Fanatic glove

That what Iv got for hunting wi. All works very well. My favorite piece are the fanatic vest, and thier expensive hats, the ballistic beanie is the warmest, most comfortable hat Iv ever warn.

For baselayers IMO the mid weight can't be beat for anything but real early on. Very comfortable, warm, breathable and dry very fast if you work up a sweat on the way in.

Anyways that's what I ran last year and have no plans on changing,I have no complaints, thier whitetail system is very well laid out and specialized for sitting in the stand

I would like to try the stratus stuff with heavier layering for a little more versatility but the fanatic is too nice to wear once the temps dip

Do you run hot or cold normally? Where in WI are you at?

Lawnboi

WKR
Central wi, I'd say I run normal, not hot nor cold.

I didn't get cold at all last year but only hunted through gun season.

Now if I can figure out how to keep my feet warm and sweat free I'll be set.

I cant reccomend enough the thick sitka beanies, don't skip out on that one.

OP
F
For my feet I am either wearing bunny boots, if it is wet, that are to big and a wool sock and a chem heater if needed. If it is just cold and snowy I wear a thin wool and thick wool sock covered by boot blankets. You don't want anything tight. I also use a chem heater if needed.

Early season-mid oct.
Equinox pant
Fanatic vest

Mid oct to December
Same base layers
Fanatic outers
Fanatic glove

Thoughts on Fanatic beanie vs Incinerator hat? what have you liked about the incinerator?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My personal kit for white tails is as follows.

Merino too and bottom
Heavyweight bottoms
Mock t
Fanatic hoody
Equinox pants
Celsius jacket
Merino gloves
Fanatic gloves
Stratus beanie
Merino beanie
Incinerator hat
Neck gaiter
Fanatic bibs
Fanatic jacket

This gets me through the season in MN and SD.

That being said on a budget I would look into a stratus suit and adding a fanatic vest instead of the fanatic suit. Would give you more options I believe.

Thoughts on Incinerator hat? I'm thinking this or the Fanatic beanie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk