Canoe in whitetail hunt

Leaving in the morning to do a few days of whitetail hunting with the ole smokepole. Going to be canoeing into an area and setting up camp then hunt from there. After going round and round with game warden on camping rules, I picked up a left over permit on the national wildlife refuge that is on a river access only tract. This will allow me to canoe in and camp by the river. Little pressure on this tract because its river access only. Mostly swamp with some high spots for camp. Trying to fill the freezer but there are some good bucks. This will be my first hunt by canoe. Having the canoe will allow me to access several areas along the river without having to trudge through the swamp. I sure hope my thermacell doesn't crap out on me!

OP
T
Well I have camp set up but I am soaked. Got caught in rain going down the river. My tent, pack and hunting clothes are dry but I look like a drowned rat. Its 77 degrees with 100% humidity right now! Man I miss Colorado.

Well I have camp set up but I am soaked. Got caught in rain going down the river. My tent, pack and hunting clothes are dry but I look like a drowned rat. Its 77 degrees with 100% humidity right now! Man I miss Colorado.

Are you on some NC game lands by any chance? It sounds like the weather we've been having here lately. I've been thinking of doing something like that one of these day. Good luck to ya.

FLAK

WKR
Sounds like a great hunt. Great way to get away from the crowds.
I'll be "Gheenoing" in myself this year with a 9.8 on the back.

OP
T
Yep NC game lands. Saw 4 deer this morning. 2 does, one spike and one decent buck. No shot at the good one, let the others walk. So far this afternoon I've seen 2 small bucks. I wasn't going to be picky but after seeing a good one this morning hard no to be.

Yep NC game lands. Saw 4 deer this morning. 2 does, one spike and one decent buck. No shot at the good one, let the others walk. So far this afternoon I've seen 2 small bucks. I wasn't going to be picky but after seeing a good one this morning hard no to be.

I think I may know where you are. Never hunted it but I've thought of doing exactly what you are a time or 2. Good luck to ya. I'm having a hard time getting to excited yet. Just to damn hot!!

LaGriz

WKR
timekiller13,

This is one of my favorite ways to hunt deer. Use the boat to approach a point or bend in the river with the wind in your face. Often get to hunt some low pressured bucks this way. I have 14.5' Ultimate solo Kayak I use for this. Have yet to combine it with a spike camp. Take some pictures if you can. I'm envious of your little adventure.

LaGriz

OP
T
Got caught in bad storm right at dark. As I sit here in my tent, trying to dry out, I have to wonder, what the hell is wrong with me? I have a nice piece of private land to hunt, with a camper that has heat, A/C and water. But no, I am here, in swamp, soaked and for some reason enjoying every minute of it.

Got caught in bad storm right at dark. As I sit here in my tent, trying to dry out, I have to wonder, what the hell is wrong with me? I have a nice piece of private land to hunt, with a camper that has heat, A/C and water. But no, I am here, in swamp, soaked and for some reason enjoying every minute of it.

This is Rokslide, where success is measured in the blood, sweat and tears that are shed to be successful.

By the way, this sounds like an awesome hunt, I'm kind of jealous of what you've described.

OP
T
I'd be hunting the private land.
I don't hunt my private land until late October and November. The bucks don't start using my property consistently until that time. I hunt public before then to fill the freezer and to have fun. Its always fun trying out new places. FYI I was not able to kill a deer on this hunt. I had a few chances but didnt pull the trigger. I have permits for this area for late season. Probably try again in December. There will be no mosquitos then.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't hunt my private land until late October and November. The bucks don't start using my property consistently until that time. I hunt public before then to fill the freezer and to have fun. Its always fun trying out new places. FYI I was not able to kill a deer on this hunt. I had a few chances but didnt pull the trigger. I have permits for this area for late season. Probably try again in December. There will be no mosquitos then.

I can understand that. Our place doesn't get real good until the water gets up. I too will be hunting public land, as well as, private. I always think how much the deer probably moved on my private spot, while I'm sitting on public. Lol

Can't wait for it to get cold enough to run the snakes in.

Good luck and hunt safe.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider

tk,
I used to paddle a section of creek to duck hunt a few beaver ponds while in school at State, but moved to SC a few years ago and have gotten away from the paddle hunt. Recently picked out a stretch of game lands to hunt with "practically 100% river access." Planning on doing some scouting trips soon and in the off season to get lay of land.