Public Land Whitetail Hunt

bperdue21

Lil-Rokslider
Which state would be the best to go to for a public land whitetail hunt? I live in Virginia and hunt the mountains on the western side of the state. I'm not really concerned if I have to walk several miles or anything like that. I would prefer to not have people all over me or be all over someone else. I was looking at Wisconsin or Kansas but would like to hear your thoughts or preferences. I should probably add that I would be interested more in seeing a good buck than just a bunch of deer overall. Also, I would want to hunt either rifle or muzzleloader season and an added bonus would be if it wasn't the last two weeks of November/first few days of December so I wouldn't miss any season at home.

Last edited:

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. 225 for a nonresident tag and lots of public land. Archery season lasts from September to January other than during the 10 day rifle season.

cocky84

WKR
most consevation areas where i am from in missouri will not let you use a rifle on public land. Muzzleloader season is usually last 2 weeks of november.

Kellum

FNG
I would do kansas early season muzzloder. I believe that season opens the first two weeks of September before the archery.

Lots of public land that you could hunt before most other people get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I would shy away from wi public land for gun season. The amount of public in wi is not much compared to the number of hunters. Bow hunting is another story but I won't hunt public with a gun in wi. And where there is a lot of public in the northern part of the state, overharvest and wolves have made for a poor deer herd.

adamm88

WKR
Adirondacks in New york. Never been but i can dream. I believe muzzleloader comes in mid October and rifle end of October

Yeah the Adirondacks are a good option. You can hunt the rut with a rifle. Ive looked into to this hunt for a backcountry experience. Tag isn't expensive and bear season is concurrent. There is a thread with a little info I started a couple months ago

Ouachita in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Tons of land and you can get away from roads. Don’t know OK licensing but AR is like $125 NonRes 5 day and $300 Annual. Archery, muzzy and rifle. That’s all whitetail, bear and small game. I’m doing my first hunt up there in a few weeks. Hope to hit the rut just right and some cold weather.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of public land here in PA to hunt. You'll have to do your homework (electronic scouting) however, there are some vast forest areas and a lot of opportunity. There's an early muzzle loader season that's in October (right about now) and there's a late one that's in around Christmas. Close enough to VA that if you wanted to hunt rifle season in both states that you could do so without losing too much time at either place.

OP
bperdue21

bperdue21

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at Ouchita you could take a picture here and not be able to tell them apart. I am thinking thr Adirondaks would be similar also. Nice suggestions and it looks like a llot of excellent options.

Try the archery only counties in west Virginia. There are 4 of them, no gun hunting since 1979. There is quite a bit of public land and as rugged as anything you will see out west, just not as high elevation. Deer density is low but trophy quality is good. A 190" typical was killed up there a couple years ago.

Other than that try kentucky. They have a few archery only wmas that have good animals.

I'm planning a backpack hunt with my cousin in Allegheny national forest in Pa. It's fall turkey season but I'm taking my bow. I'll be able to hunt for turkey, Deer , and the Bear season runs that week I'm there. Plus all the small game. I'm really looking forward to this trip. It'll cost me 170 bucks for my liscense, archery stamp and Bear tag. Pretty affordable.

elkyinzer

WKR
For rifle season, and this is based on my extensive research, not necessarily first hand experience, I would think about throwing states like MT, ID, WA, maybe N&SD in the mix. I've done most of my hunting in PA, OH, and WV and here is why I say that....

Out East here, hunting can be tremendous for archery season hunting the rut, rifle season is pretty shitty in my eyes. The deer are worn to the ground from rutting. Most areas get a ton of pressure and the deer just lay low and wait out the season. Natural daytime movement on public is virtually nil. To succeed and kill deer, you need some hunting pressure to move deer around, otherwise the deer just lay up. So often trying to seek solitude is counter productive in those areas. Weekdays you almost have to team up and do drives. Out West hunter density in rifle is crazy low and I think most of those states have seasons that coincide with the rut. I don't travel to rifle hunt but if I did that's the kind of experience I would lean toward.

I would 2nd the elkyinzers opinion on PA. While I ha e had success archery and some rifle our rifle season here in PA is a joke unless you have property.

We see many deer and take some each year but mature bucks are tough in rifle season. And take more luck than anything else. Couple that with the fact that it is very difficult to get more than 500 yards let alone a mile from any road (the exception being some places in North central PA) and the general inconsiderate nature of public land hunters around where I hunt.

I wouldn't pay money to hunt PA as a non resident without friends or family involved

OP
bperdue21

bperdue21

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing that kind of puts me off of the PA hunt is that I would be hunting the Alleghanies, which I hunt the southern end of here at home. Not really a big deal, but wanting something semi different. On the other hand it is close enough to maybe make more than one trip. I really like the Arkansas and Missouri options which I hadn't even thought about. I like the MT idea also.

I hunt the adirondacks. Its not a place i go to expecting to kill a nice deer. I go because its offers solitude. Something i cant get in southern NY. Yes you could get a nice buck but it will not be a frequent occurrence. Low deer density. Many hunters will not see a single buck up there in a week long hunt.

SWOHTR

WKR
There’s a lot of WT in northern ID, and gun season opened 10 Oct.

Took this guy the other day on public.

IMG_2857.JPG

wesfromky

WKR
Other than that try kentucky. They have a few archery only wmas that have good animals.

KY now allows muzzleloaders on some of those WMAs for the December season, so if you are not up for archery, might be worth looking into. There is a ton of public land in KY, though not much open for modern gun season outside of Eastern KY. And what is open seems to get a lot of pressure.