North Idaho rut dates

After striking out on mule deer in southern Idaho, I'm thinking of heading up North in November to fill my deer tag. I'm curious what the best time would be to go over there in terms of rut activity. I'll be coming from Western Washington and will probably be restricted to a 3-day weekend. Probably going to be hunting North of I-90 but don't have it narrowed down further than that

I'm assuming you have a general deer tag since you hunted the mule deer season. If that's the case, you may have to buy a separate tag to hunt Whitetail only depending on what unit you hunt so keep that in mind. I shot a buck in North ID last year that was mounting a doe on Nov 18th. East of Lewiston. The rut wasn't in full swing yet but it was heating up. If you're hunting North of I-90 and only have three days to hunt, I would go the weekend before Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving weekend.

OP
S
Well it does say I can hunt unit 1 under the general season. Not sure why they have the distinction, maybe I should call them for clarification

sneaky

"DADDY"
The whitetail only tag just gives you a little longer to hunt whiteys up there, that's the biggest distinction. Depending on what unit you are looking at you can hunt muleys or whitetails during the rut.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcdogdoc

FNG
Just came back from whitetail hunting in Idaho. The rut is just starting I think. They were starting to move around on my last day (15 Nov) there as I was seeing the bigger bucks past shooting light. Ended up with a young buck which was very tasty.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just came back from whitetail hunting in Idaho. The rut is just starting I think. They were starting to move around on my last day (15 Nov) there as I was seeing the bigger bucks past shooting light. Ended up with a young buck which was very tasty.
What zone were you in? I've always heard that thanksgiving week is the best time to be up north Idaho

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramhunter

FNG
After striking out on mule deer in southern Idaho, I'm thinking of heading up North in November to fill my deer tag. I'm curious what the best time would be to go over there in terms of rut activity. I'll be coming from Western Washington and will probably be restricted to a 3-day weekend. Probably going to be hunting North of I-90 but don't have it narrowed down further than that

Right about now!........

jimmy33

WKR
I shot a buck that was definitely rutting on Thursday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
We are finding this years rut is later, almost looks like it is in pockets,some guys are seeing it but for the most part it is seems to be off . May be good this next few days.

FreeRange

WKR
Just got back from Idaho. Rattled in an 8pt on Nov15th, next few days were cold but hunting was slow. All does we saw did not have bucks trailing them which was quite different from our last hunt there two years ago same time frame. Killed a big mature buck on the 19th who was chasing does pretty hard. Weather warmed up a lot after that. Other encounters with bucks were all spot and stalk on bucks early in the morning out cruising looking for does it seemed. Killed another buck yesterday in that scenario. Saw a lot of bucks late at night while we were out driving around. It seems even with the new moon and cloud cover a lot of activity was at night. Still had a great hunt just had to work harder. Also lots more wolf activity than i’d seen in the past in our area. A lot of fresh sign and howling at night. Don’t really think that affected the whitetail too much personally. All this in the Clearwater area. Will post a write up some time soon.

johnsd16

WKR
I live north of 90 and saw very little true "rutting" until about Nov 13-15, then it slowed for a time and I saw some good chasing 19-22. These are the bucks around town, trail camera, and out doing some duck hunting. As in most areas, it is a stuttering affair in any little pocket. I'd say you are safe in the future anytime after 11/5, and just move around until you find some active ones, though it seems like some real bruisers seem to pop up for guys after 11/15 and through thanksgiving. I say that based on hunting in MT, MN and WI and also following posts on the interweb, and getting texts from friends.

jimmy33

WKR
I live north of 90 and saw very little true "rutting" until about Nov 13-15, then it slowed for a time and I saw some good chasing 19-22. These are the bucks around town, trail camera, and out doing some duck hunting. As in most areas, it is a stuttering affair in any little pocket. I'd say you are safe in the future anytime after 11/5, and just move around until you find some active ones, though it seems like some real bruisers seem to pop up for guys after 11/15 and through thanksgiving. I say that based on hunting in MT, MN and WI and also following posts on the interweb, and getting texts from friends.

I agree with the above statement. I hunt it every year and I am usually up there the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and hunt through the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. They are always rutting during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
No unfortunately had a family member pass away, spent time with loved ones instead