I am a big dummy, missed 3 deer...

I was hunting on my private property the other day. I shoot a single pin HHA adjustable sight. I leave it on 25 yds for hunting purposes. Well, I was sitting in the stand Thursday morning and noticed a screw that needed to be snugged down on my rest. To do that, I had to move my sight from 25 yds up to 80 to reach the screw. I did that and continued hunting. Well, about 3 hours later, a nice 8pt walked out at 20 yds. I drew back and shot and watched the arrow fly over his back. I chalked it up excitement and just misjudging the yardage. About 30 min later, a group of 8 does walks out. I decided to shoot the biggest one. Again, drew back and let fly and watched the arrow sail over her back! Now, I'm a little frustrated but I still chalk it up to misjudging the yardage because of the steep shot angle down a ridge. Right before dark, 6 more does come out. I draw back, lock on and release and again the arrow sails over her back. What in the actual crap is going on! I'm ready to throw my bow down the mtn and give up archery. I then notice my sight, still set on 80 yds, right where I had moved it to tighten that screw. Kind of hard to hit them at 20 when you are aiming for 80 yds! I've missed deer for many reasons but that's the first time I've done that! Not much I can do about it now. Learn from my dumb mistakes and move on!

For the record I retrieved all 3 arrows and all were clean misses. Also, for the record. Checked to make sure bow was still zeroed in and it was. The screw must have gotten a little loose after being jarred around on 4 wheeler.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have gotten into a routine of checking that setting when I pull my bow out of the case each time. I shoot a 5 pin adjustable and made the same mistake while sighting in new arrows earlier this year. Only cost me the arrows and not an opportunity at meat, but after the 3rd time I made the mistake I finally got mad enough to change my behavior. Hopefully I don't make that mistake again on an animal. I know how upset I was just to lose the arrows I'd just built, so I can only imagine how frustrated you must be.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I did a similar thing a while back. Was screwing around with the sight then the next day I sent an arrow into my brick fence. Didn't end well for the arrow. But learned a lesson, now check it every time before I shoot.

gelton

WKR
I've lost more arrows this way than I care to count, still not sure I have got it through my thick skull to check everytime

norman1wv

FNG
I have to comment on this thread even tho its older. My 2nd cousin bow hunts a lot! Without sights!.. He shoots with a friend that does use sights. This friend keeps buying new/different sights to try and be as accurate as my 2nd cousin is. He is unbelievable. I can't imagine how many hours of practice it took him to be able to shoot sightless. He tells me he just knows where to hold kinda like a super power or something. He can out-shoot most people I know. His nickname is "William Tell".. you know the guy that shot the apple off someones head?.. yea.. thats the one. Now if the OP could learn / practice enough to shoot sightless.. he wouldn't have to worry about sight pins... I don't think I could ever shoot sightless.