Is the deer spoiled

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting partner shot a deer last night at 530. tracked it at least a half mole with blood everywhere (no idea how it was still alive after losing that much blood). ended up leaving it in the event we were jumping it. going out to find it shortly. temps last night dropped to high 40s. current temp is in 60s. Any thoughts of spoilage? If we find it, could it not smell but still be spoiled?

Thanks!
Chris

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Should be fine, entrails will smell for sure especially if shot in cavity. Meat should be fine. You can tell if inside of meat is sweet smelling. That said, I would not waste any time getting hide off. good luck

Poser

WKR
Smell the meat after you remove it from the animal. Smells fine, then it is fine. Smells bad, then it is bad. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
Smell the meat after you remove it from the animal. Smells fine, then it is fine. Smells bad, then it is bad. It's that simple.

To go along with this, some areas will spoil sooner than others. Keep what smells good, throw out the meat that smells bad.

Even though it's probably ok, I err on the side of caution. You're best case scenario, is the deer stayed alive for many hours, and you find it just after it expires.

I shot a bear in August, opening day in Canada. 80 degrees outside, sunny. The guide let the bear sit for hours while I was freaking out about gutting it immediately. It was fine... even though I wasn't happy about it.

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all that posted. I wish I had a better follow up but we were unable to find it. From what i was told it was a dandy buck, but regardless of how nice or "not nice" it was, it is just an awful, awful feeling to know that an animal was shot and not recovered. Not being the one who shot it, it's surprising how being part of the search you still seem to take ownership and responsibility for it ending up the way it did. I hope you all have better luck this season.

Thanks to all that posted. I wish I had a better follow up but we were unable to find it. From what i was told it was a dandy buck, but regardless of how nice or "not nice" it was, it is just an awful, awful feeling to know that an animal was shot and not recovered. Not being the one who shot it, it's surprising how being part of the search you still seem to take ownership and responsibility for it ending up the way it did. I hope you all have better luck this season.

Sorry to hear that. It's a horrible feeling that I unfortunately know personally. Fortunately my hit this year was lethal, and my miss this year was clean.

Even though it's probably ok, I err on the side of caution. You're best case scenario, is the deer stayed alive for many hours, and you find it just after it expires.

And sometimes this doesn't work out very well either. I single lunged and center liver hit on a 5yr old couple days ago that I backed out on and waited 8hrs (30-35 degree temps) I am very cautious when I have temps in my favor. I bumped him out of his second bed 200yds from the shot 9.25hrs after I had shot him. He was hurting but still able to run. Backed out again and found him 75yds from second bed. 24hrs since I shot him. Thinking he was alive for 16-20hrs. Still piping hot internally, eyes weren't sunk and could still bend legs.

It was mind blowing that he could live that long with only one lung and hole in liver. 210lb buck. The entrance and exit were inside the rib cage 6 ribs and 4 ribs in. Both holes had fat or coagulated blood plugging...so I think that solves the lung issue. he was able to get pressure back and not suffocate from collapse. But liver...thought they usually expire in 8hrs from liver?

When I started to take him apart I was a bit concerned...blood was black and definitely lots of bile. Tenderloins were not good...still finished them but definitely had the bile sour taste like he turned. Cut him up at home and took pieces of meat from interior hinds...fronts...and straps. Fried them all and every chunk was sour tasting and smelly. I've got the meat cold soaking in a brine solution...hoping to salvage it...

So I think that he just had blood poisoning from liver hit? I am no expert on this at all and this is new to me having spoiled meat.
Can anyone confirm the reason my deer was spoiled was from being alive so long with a smoked liver?

Sorry to hear about the lost deer. I trailed a doe a couple years ago that went for over a mile before I lost blood. My arrow entered behind last rib on the left and was sticking out the right shoulder. Maybe missed both lungs right through the middle? Either way, I never found her.

I heard someone on a hunting show (so it has to be true HA HA) say to check for spoiled meat cut open whatever was on the bottom. In other words, if the right hind quarter was the lowest, after the hide is removed, slice into the meat and smell. If it smells bad, it's bad.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Sorry to hear about the lost deer. I trailed a doe a couple years ago that went for over a mile before I lost blood. My arrow entered behind last rib on the left and was sticking out the right shoulder. Maybe missed both lungs right through the middle? Either way, I never found her.

I heard someone on a hunting show (so it has to be true HA HA) say to check for spoiled meat cut open whatever was on the bottom. In other words, if the right hind quarter was the lowest, after the hide is removed, slice into the meat and smell. If it smells bad, it's bad.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

This is how the born and raised guys check elk.