Treestand harness

I use a black diamond alpine bod also.

I'll add to this -- if you're going to be in and out of the same stand quite a bit, GET a lifeline! I use them on all my stands and wouldn't have it any other way at this point.

30 bucks to be connected from the time you leave the ground until the time you're back down is nothing compared to an E.R. or worse. Hell, I'd pay that just to avoid so much as a close call. Believe me, falls from tree stands are more common than most will ever realize.

Big fan of these life lines. Have one on all the tree stands I use.

2x for the rock climbing harness. I have tried a few full body systems but went back to an alpine bod. Light and simple. Run the tether behind you with a zip tie or rubber band if you can. Take a bite on it and tuck it if you don’t have a tie. If you know how to use them have some Prusiks handy so you could sort yourself out after a fall.

Murdy

WKR
I've been using the HSS ultralite for 3 or 4 years now. I really like it. For whatever reason, the straps stay untangled for the most part unlike the cheapo's that come with the treestands. I hardly notice it's on.

That said, I have to look into the rock climbing harnesses after reading this thread.

HSS for me.
I climb and have two harnesses. They don't move away from our climbing wall...except for trimming trees or hanging stands.
No way I would use for hunting.

I believe firmly in eliminating things that may go wrong.
Having rope attachment in the front is not a good thing...too many things that may go wrong when drawing or moving or turning.
I understand there are mods... But i want to keep it simple!
Dealing with rope...feeding through jacket or heavy clothing...across your body or under clothing?
I understand there are lots of benefits of rock climbing harness listed...but only takes one thing that could possibly go wrong and i pass.

I like the HSS style because the lifeline out the back of the neck...rope is up high enough so it wont hit your seat or stand on the downward loop.
Carabiner (wrapped in moleskin) up high enough so cant hit part of the stand.

Falling in either system is fine. Just pull yourself back up. Make sure tree straps are set at correct height.

LostArra

WKR
HSS for me.
I climb and have two harnesses. They don't move away from our climbing wall...except for trimming trees or hanging stands.
No way I would use for hunting.

I believe firmly in eliminating things that may go wrong.
Having rope attachment in the front is not a good thing...too many things that may go wrong when drawing or moving or turning.
I understand there are mods... But i want to keep it simple!
Dealing with rope...feeding through jacket or heavy clothing...across your body or under clothing?
I understand there are lots of benefits of rock climbing harness listed...but only takes one thing that could possibly go wrong and i pass.

I like the HSS style because the lifeline out the back of the neck...rope is up high enough so it wont hit your seat or stand on the downward loop.
Carabiner (wrapped in moleskin) up high enough so cant hit part of the stand.

Falling in either system is fine. Just pull yourself back up. Make sure tree straps are set at correct height.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing but the use of a short Beal Dyna Clip running from the RC harness to the lifeline is about totally fool-proof. Never had a problem drawing, turning or moving. Heavy clothing is no problem. I can shed or add layers as needed.

If someone is more comfortable with the full body harness then stick with it. For me the strap running out behind your neck is a deal breaker especially when turning and shooting to my right (I'm right handed). I also don't want to be facing away from the tree if I fall.

I think we all agree that it's best to use something just so you don't hit the ground.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing but the use of a short Beal Dyna Clip running from the RC harness to the lifeline is about totally fool-proof. Never had a problem drawing, turning or moving. Heavy clothing is no problem. I can shed or add layers as needed.

If someone is more comfortable with the full body harness then stick with it. For me the strap running out behind your neck is a deal breaker especially when turning and shooting to my right (I'm right handed). I also don't want to be facing away from the tree if I fall.

I think we all agree that it's best to use something just so you don't hit the ground.

ok that makes a bit more sense as far as eliminating the biner up front. Anything that can create noise is out for me.
So your dynaclip and lead is outside your clothing...where does the slack rope go?
Just seems like unnecessary to have extra stuff in front of you...
I keep my bow in my lap on about 3/4 of my stands where things happen quickly...I just wont want to have rope sitting around ready to be snagged on my bow etc...

I am interested in how people set up their rock climbing harnesses...
If you got a couple pictures of your setup I would be interested in taking a peak
Looks like I'm going to play with this a bit tonight when I get home.

full body harness with rope coming out behind your neck isn't an issue...there is enough slack to turn 360degrees.
I set mine up so sitting the biner doesn't even come down far enough to tick any part of the stand.

Lawnboi

WKR
As above, I run a rock climbing harness.

I run a 10' piece of 1 inch tubular webbing tied into the front of the harness in a big loop, with a water knot and 2 safety knots. This loop is connected to the back of my harness with a small zip tie, this leaves me a 2' tail at the back. I just clip that into my tree strap or life line. Nothing in the way for shooting. I actually shot a deer at the extreme right side of the stand, that I would have had to fight the harness with, had I been wearing a traditional harness.
I put on my harness over my clothing, goes on and off easy. If you pack in even better, the harness weighs a fraction of hunting brand full bodies. Not to mention it cost half of what your going to pay for a full body hunting harness, an every hunting harness Iv used has been louder.

I won't go back, I have full confidence in the setup. That said I have a decent idea on ropes and knots from my job, that helps.

So I played around with setup last night.
Sorry I was skeptical of everyone using rock climbing harnesses...I just don't really believe in anything until I see it.

I'm going to stick with my HSS but found a great way to setup rock climbing harness...maybe use it in the future?

I figure 8 knotted to the harness with extra rope then threw another figure 8 on a bite with a 12" loop.
Then took a little ziptie and connected to the harness.
The end was then center of body right above my butt...ran some thin tape around waste/extra rope so nothing was hanging.
ran end up and connected to prussic with biner that I attached to anchor on my climbing wall.
(trying to simulate tree setup as much as possible)

Took a little jump off...ziptie popped...I swung a bit violently and banged wall but no big deal and I ended facing wall.

Lawnboi-like the idea of webbing would help with weight/bulk vs rope. Also...great idea on the safety knots...water knots will work themselves loose over time! I don't have any tube webbing laying around for some reason but I will pick some up at some point. My major complain for harness setup with rope is the extra bulk...but webbing would fix that
Good luck on opener this weekend!

Those running the RC harness. Has anyone found one or a way to DIY a lineman's belt? For hang and hunts I still want to be attached to the tree while putting ladder sections up.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I took a length of tubular webbing and put it around the waist area with loops on the ends to attach a line mans belt. Inside the loops I have some rope that gives it structure and lets my biner clip on and off easy. I used a couple water knots as belt loop to keep it attached to the harness. It's very clean and adds no weight. I got the idea from Garret on DIY sportsman on YouTube. He shows the set up in his one stick climbing method vid.

I have also seen people attach the lineman's belt to the front loop on the harness or just using a safety line to lean back so they can go hands free.

The great thing about it is the options it gives you from not having a tradition hunting harness.