Treestand harness

Randle

WKR
I am going to hunt whitetail out of a ladderstand this year. never really hunted too much out of a stand so my ? is what is a good harness to buy that wont brake the bank, and is is user freindly ?

hush

FNG
It took me a long time to decide on a new harness this year. Went with the HSS Ultralite Flex. Really like this thing. Very light, adjustable. Works with my early season and late season gear. Quick on and off. Nice buckles and easy to keep straight. Wearing it right now. You can even reply to forum inquiries with it on.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have used a number of full body hunting harnesses, there all the same.

This year I switched to a rock climbing harness, won't go back.

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
HSS bowhunter harness is a great harness that won't break the bank. I have been using mine for the last couple years. Won't go up a tree without it.

I really like my muddy crossover. Has 6 pockets that keep grunt tube and rangefinder gloves etc at hand. It is a little heavier and might not be best for warm weather use but I haven't minded yet

The only negative is the waist size is not adjustable that I can find. It fits me well so this isn't an issue but would like to tighten it up when not wearing any layers early season

HSS Spyder or Muddy all make good products

Rock climbing harness here too. Those guys take falls all the time from much higher.

Shoulder Straps? We don't need no stinking shoulder straps.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've got a Petzl rock climbing harness, and my little boy uses one as well. They are so much lighter, and so much easier and quicker to put on. I just cant see messing with a full body style harness

This is my setup. Black diamond alpine bod, tree strap, Daisy chain tether, hawk bow hanger and pull up rope, bahco laplander saw. I keep in a mesh bag so I can air it out. Those straps get funky if you're in trees with wet bark.
3263064b8ce23cfadb00525e2fcfcd66.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a piece of 1" tubular webbing from the front, around to the back and fastened with a zip tie. That way it's out of the way, Andy if I fall the zip tie will snap and I'll end up facing the tree.

Ditto on the rock harness. I’ve been using one for years. Go to the saddlehunter.com forums. Those guys have awesome information. If you want, I’ll send you an extra commercial harness to have. PM me if your interested? I’ll post my setup when I get back up north next week...

jmez

WKR
They are all pretty similar. My current harness is an HSS something or other. I don't think the harness really matters. Weight is not an issue with any of them and it never takes me more than about oh, 20s to put one on.

I would recommend you get a life line and put it up in the tree. That way you can hood on when on the ground so you are tethered the entire time.The majority of falls will happen getting into and out of a stand. Ladder stands are a little simpler in that regard but you should still have a lifeline.

When wearing a traditional type harness make sure you attach to the tree so that the line is just tight when you are seated. If you fall you can then just climb back onto the stand rather than dangling below it.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Thanks for all the info . I will look into them . I never thought about rock climbers harness.
Jmez thanks for the input . That's one reason I like the ladder stand . Alittle easier in and out.

cnelk

WKR
Randle

I have quite a few treestand harnesses on the shelf here as I get one with every tree stand I buy.

I have one that is full body, has has leg loops and a chest strap - brand new, never used.

If you want it Ill send it to you - free

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Great, wow this is what is cool, about here. pm on its way

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I've also got a petzl rock harness. I don't use one when hunting from a ladder stand though. I use my lone wolf alpha and sticks and added some one inch tubular wedding around the waist and made a few loops to act as belt loops with the excess webbing for my line mans belt. It is ten times better than any other harness I have used. I am also able to keep my safety line lower so it won't get in the way when I draw the bow.

kpk

WKR
I use a black diamond alpine bod also.

I'll add to this -- if you're going to be in and out of the same stand quite a bit, GET a lifeline! I use them on all my stands and wouldn't have it any other way at this point.

30 bucks to be connected from the time you leave the ground until the time you're back down is nothing compared to an E.R. or worse. Hell, I'd pay that just to avoid so much as a close call. Believe me, falls from tree stands are more common than most will ever realize.