Rock Climbing Harness Fall

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so started a new one.

I am not debating the safety of any harness or rock climbing vs 5 point style. Also no fall is good. I have never fallen from a tree stand but have had some close calls.

My question is for rock climbing harness users. If you have fallen have you ended up head down. I feel with only the legs strapped you would be more likely to. Obviously they are built to work for falls but specifically in a treestand situation it appears more likely to have to right yourself after falling where a 5 point style is more likely to keep you upright.

I have no comfort issues with my harness and don't intend to switch but am curious.

Poser

WKR
The center of gravity in rock climbing harnesses will, more often than not, correct you. If you have to correct yourself, it's not hard, just need a little momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
It takes more effort to hang upside down in one than it does to hang right side up. If for some reason you are unconcious you would probably hang horizontally with your belly up as if in a recliner. Its not uncommon to fall upside down when climbing and its a non issue.

Stwrt9

WKR
I wouldnt over think it. As someone else said no fall it good but im confidant that my rock climbing harnrss will do its job. Made the switch 2 years ago best decision i ever made.

The bottom of my summit climber fell out from under me while climbing down today. Scary AF needles to say but I was disappointed and not thinking straight after missing a buck with my rifle on one of my last days to hunt in this god awful state. Long story short, it saved my a $$. It stopped my fall and I was able to get to the bottom platform and pull it back up with my feet. My face smashed the top piece of the climber and busted by lip and nose but all in all I am safe because of my rc harness.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What rock climbing harnesses you guys using? Ive been using a regular harness for at least a decade now but have been casually thinking of switching, havent looked into it seriously though.

What are the benefits you guys using them have noted over the harnesses?

N2TRKYS

WKR
What rock climbing harnesses you guys using? Ive been using a regular harness for at least a decade now but have been casually thinking of switching, havent looked into it seriously though.

What are the benefits you guys using them have noted over the harnesses?

Black Diamond Vario Speed harness.

adamm88

WKR
Im also interested to hear what rope setup are you tethering into while using using a climber or in a stand

Black Diamond Vario Speed harness.

This is what I use as well. And a HSS tree rope to connect to the tree. (see below). I've been told this is wrong because I don't have a dynamic line and whanot, but there's probably less than a foot of slack, so I feel like a dynamic line is unnecessary.

The main reason I switched is because of the whole suspension relief and self rescue thing, but I also love the fact that its only around my lower body so when I put another layer or jacket or something on, I don't have to mess with shoulder straps. It also doesnt get in the way of my binocular harness.

mBjMvRU.jpg

Trial153

WKR
The speed harness is a nice set up, it’s big enough to go over chunky layer. On my 5 year with it

N2TRKYS

WKR
Im also interested to hear what rope setup are you tethering into while using using a climber or in a stand

I made my own rope tether using 11 mil climbing rope, prusik cord, and a lightweight locking carabiner. On ladder and lock on stands, I use lifelines.

ChrisS

WKR
This is what I use as well. And a HSS tree rope to connect to the tree. (see below). I've been told this is wrong because I don't have a dynamic line and whanot, but there's probably less than a foot of slack, so I feel like a dynamic line is unnecessary.

The main reason I switched is because of the whole suspension relief and self rescue thing, but I also love the fact that its only around my lower body so when I put another layer or jacket or something on, I don't have to mess with shoulder straps. It also doesnt get in the way of my binocular harness.
Exact same setup and same reasons.

I get the dynamic rope thing, but I think that's making way too big a deal over something that, in the grand scheme of things, is very unlikely to happen. I don't ever plan on falling (no one does, but I'm not taking undue risks because I have a safety system on unlike rock climbing where someone may be several feet away from their ascender/prussik and/or attempting risky holds and routes). And when I'm in the stand or even climbing, up, there is never much slack in the safety line. Worse case scenario is that I fall unexpectedly and smash a knee into a ladder step or tree or my face like Tony (ouch!).

The RC harness is so much simpler and gives me peace of mind. The RC harness also is going to keep you right side up.

brownbear

FNG
Late to the conversation. I love the rock climbing harness. I use the summit ropes to go around the tree, but use a pre-sewn spectra loop to hitch into the front of my harness then carabiner to the prusik loop on the rope. This allows me to set the rope fairly high, then I put my non-dominant arm over the spectra loop. When things are extra easy going, I lean into it a bit as a tensioned back rest. Don't think I'll ever go back to the "traditional treestand harness".

I'm using the black diamond vario as well. It's comfortable , only issue is when you gotta take a leak! Lol. Get used to going through the zipper. Haha. It's a pain to undo the top if your in a hurry. Still a great harness. I am still learning and will keep trying to make it safer, more comfortable, quicker, and easier to use but I will never go back to not wearing a harness again

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I use the same black diamond when I am using my climber and use one of my linemans ropes for attaching to the tree. I don't like that set up as well for using my lock on and sticks because of the center attachment point. I use a muddy full harness for that with the hip loops for the linemans rope. Wi that setup I attach my bow to my lifeline and go up the tree with stand on my back. Hang the stand and attach the top of the lifeline and hook the tether, then get on the stand. I pull my bow up and I am hunting in one trip up and never not attached to the tree. I use a dynamic line for my lifelines after some lengthy discussions with local arborist and because I can put an eye splice in at the top end and use a carabiner which eliminates feeding a bunch of rope through a loop.