Questions for the Nebraska Guys

Looking at a hunt for my son next year as he will be 10 in September. I assume he is eligible to hunt the firearm or late season antlerless as he will be 10 by then? Also it says I have to have a license is that just a small game or do I also need a deer tag to accompany him? Last question is the public land do able or do you need to find private to have decent success, especially for a first timer.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Nonresident youth need a habit stamp for $25. You can get an $8+$3 issue fee nonresident restricted youth deer good for either sex. The tag isn't valid in Frenchman, Platte, and Republican units. Rifle season public gets hit very hard and may be tough for a ten year old. Private would be the way to go. So just the habit stamp, $8 deer tag, and firearm hunter education number. Hope that helps

Titan_Bow

WKR
My little boy has shot 2 deer in Nebraska, last year at 11, he got his first with a rifle, then this year, he got his first archery deer. I thought you had to also have a deer tag, but I could be wrong. I always bowhunt Nebraska so I have a deer tag already. The website says literally "“Licensed” is defined as a hunter who has a valid Nebraska hunting permit. It actually doesnt specify a deer tag, but again, I have always had one. I will say, opening morning on public land can be pretty crazy. The public land goes from almost no body there during archery, to WW3 opening morning. Keep in mind that MOST people are hunting near the roads, easy places to walk, etc. If you decide on a specific state land area, start map scouting, by finding the farthest spots from roads, and look for bottoms, draws, ravines, etc. that provide escape corridors out of the public onto private or open prairie. Get in there way early before daylight opening morning,(maybe set up a ground blind) and you'll likely watch a parade of deer leaving as they get pushed around by all the hunters! That is the tactic we used last year and it worked great!

PFopk5h.jpg

CHcU7Z3.jpg

• Banned
OP
orionthehunter1
Thanks, so do I need a tag it says must be accompanied by a licensed person 19 or older. Also how receptive are landowners out there for letting people hunt

cnelk

WKR
Nebraska is a great youth hunting state!
License are super cheap [like $8 for deer]

I started my son out there when he was youngster with a ML about 10 yrs ago
We do public land. It can get kinda busy but not too bad
You will see deer which is important for the kiddos.

Im not sure about the part you needing a license, my son is now almost 21 :)

Z78kVBg.jpg

cnelk

WKR
Thanks, so do I need a tag it says must be accompanied by a licensed person 19 or older. Also how receptive are landowners out there for letting people hunt

Most of the landowners along the riverbottoms has leased out the good stuff.
You may be able to find something, but not like it used to be

Titan_Bow

WKR
another thought. I see crossbows are legal in Nebraska. Taking him out there that last week of archery season, with a crossbow, would be an absolute hoot! You'd probably be on tons of deer, not have to worry about the crowds, and get to hunt and watch deer that are relatively unpressured. The area my little boy and I hunt, out near McCook, we spent 4 weekends hunting this year during archery, and only had 1 sit where we didnt see deer. I spot and stalked a mulie doe with my little boy by my side, and he arrowed his first deer at 10 yards. We probably saw 100 deer while in the woods in those 4 trips. The age structure is pretty low, so 1.5 -2.5 year deer are the norm, but it can be a blast for kids

• Banned
OP
orionthehunter1
Thanks guys yeah I didn't think about the crossbow that could be an option. His sister has killed a couple nice antelope in new mexico, but he can't draw and is chomping at the bit to get something bigger than a turkey.

Attachments

• lanston turkey2.jpg
    lanston turkey2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 30
  • tan lope.jpg
    tan lope.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 31
  • tan lope 2017.jpg
    tan lope 2017.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31

Titan_Bow

WKR
You’ll occasionally see a few big guys running around too Especially last week of archery. My little boy and I saw probably 4 bucks that were in the 120’s this year. Also found this skull literally a few feet from where my little boys buck fell.
9373db547b85b4a2b50a23278ef3cb8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska is like Wyoming is for Antelope. Deer everywhere! Pick just about an SWA and your set. Some are better than others but it's always way better prior to their early rifle season.

vanish

WKR
Titan_Bow makes some great recommendations.

I use a similar strategy as Titan_Bow suggested and hunt where the pressure will move the deer. The locals road hunt the wide open country, so I go in the brush. Four of the NE bucks I've taken were within the first hour on opening day. Even though it was rifle season, all my bucks were shot under 50 yards.

The crossbow idea sounds fantastic. This year, my father archery hunted where we usually rifle hunt. He had 74 deer inside bow range in the first 3 days.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I used the exemption . He’s been through the full Colorado Hunter Safety course which the CPW runs just for kids. It was a great program. We’re going to do the online bowhunters ed course, I already had him watching the vids. Do you know if there is any reciprocity for the Hunt Safe session that is required? Otherwise we’ll be taking a trip to NE before bow hunting spring turkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
The One Time exemption expires on Dec 31.
He will need to take the online course, then attend the conclusion class to get the Bowhunting Certificate

I did it early 2016 when Alaska was requiring NonRes to have it - P.O.C. and all states recognize it

Cnelk, what conclusion class? I took the course, they emailed me a temp certificate and I was good to go. Am I missing something?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Up to 15 years old, they have to not only pass the course, but they also have to attend a 2 hour Hunt Safe session in order to get their Nebraska Bowhunters Safety card.