Is this buck broke or just an oddball?

mcseal2

WKR
I got pics of a buck recently that has an awesome 4pt side and a spike opposite it. At first glance I thought it was a broken main beam past the brow tine, but a closer look shows the point is much closer to the head than the opposite brow. I'm not sure if he is just that way or if he damaged the antler early in velvet or what. What do you all think? I think if the sides matched he would be a mid 160"s or better 4x4. Maybe next years pics will show if he makes it that long. Hopefully he shows back up with matching sides, I have always loved giant 8pt (4x4) typical bucks.

MFDC8398 - Copy.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the main beam broke off to me. The farm I hunt gets half rack bucks more than we like but usually the other side has some characteristics that are notable not just an eye guard spike

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gansettx

FNG
If I were a betting man I'd say broken...I have pics of a similar buck with the same issue only opposite side...might help a decent buck get passed...look out next year he'll be a booner for sure!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I hope you guys are right, I have a thing for giant 8pt (4x4) typical bucks and he sure fits the bill. I would love to get an 8 that is close to B&C! The 8pts in the mid 150's I've measured are studs.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
One more vote for broken. Super nice buck. Hopefully he makes it to 2018 season!

Jet-Tac

FNG
If he gets in any fights there's gonna be some bucks missing eyes that's for sure. I vote broken as well. Nice buck though.

I got pics of a buck recently that has an awesome 4pt side and a spike opposite it. At first glance I thought it was a broken main beam past the brow tine, but a closer look shows the point is much closer to the head than the opposite brow. I'm not sure if he is just that way or if he damaged the antler early in velvet or what. What do you all think? I think if the sides matched he would be a mid 160"s or better 4x4. Maybe next years pics will show if he makes it that long. Hopefully he shows back up with matching sides, I have always loved giant 8pt (4x4) typical bucks.

View attachment 62290
Apparently he doesn't like you taking his picture, sticking his tongue out at your camera.

MtnOyster

WKR
I'm going with odd ball, ive got one where I hunt that's exactly like that one, I thought at first glance he was an 8 id been hunting that had broke one side off but after letting him walk under my stand one evening I could tell he just grew that way, don't know if it was from injury or just grew weird but wasn't broke, I let him walk but it was tuff, his good side was really nice, maybe he'll be a giant next year.

Jdog

WKR
hard to tell the by the pic on broke vs oddball.

Nice deer nonetheless but it takes ALOT for an 8 to make 160"...