Deer habitat

Michigan , non evasive shrub for deer cover. Any suggestions on fast growing cover and a food source too? Thank you for your consideration.

They are not going to let him put shrubs in crp land. At least not any species that are going to provide deer cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was suggesting the CRP is both food and cover, eventually, the CRP field will produce briars, bushes and saplings that are large enough to provide food and cover for whitetails. Not a deer farmer but I have hunted overgrown CRP.

OP
T
We just purchased property for deer hunting. It has not been hunted for years. About ten acres are just tall grass now but was a food plot years ago. Looking to plant deer cover on the outside edges and food plots in the center. We are also considering leasing out the ten acres to a farmer too. We want to manage it best for deer habitat.

NYSKIER

WKR
I'm not sure how much money you could get out of leasing it to a farmer that's definitely not my area of expertise. As far as food plot recommendations I'd suggest you check out grandpa ray outdoors. They are very informative there and will even help you make a custom mix. Soil testing should also be the first box on your checklist.

bwlacy

WKR
Check out the Michigan Sportsman Forum. There is a ton a great info in the deer habitat section. Check out Jeff Sturgis online, or read all his books. Lot's of great habitat info out there. What part of the state you are in may determine some of what you can plant. Totally different weather from the UP to the southern lower.

Maybe plant Hazel nuts, some Norway spruce for future screening, crab apple, dog wood, lots of options.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very new to hunting in general but I spend a lot of time here (when not on the Slide)
Whitetail Habitat Solutions
- YouTube

Whitetail Habitat Solutions . He manages properties for landowners but the site gives a lot of information on doing the same for smaller landowners . He also does some nice gear reviews .

I have a very small piece of property (50 acres) with deer and moose on my cams and am trying to figure out how to do a small food plot or two myself with no vehicle access to 3/4ths of the property . The above youtube channel is pretty helpful .

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Check out QDMA's "plant this, not that" : Plant This, Not That | QDMA

You might also try calling the local dnr biologist and forester. We've had them out here in WI and they know what works and doesn't in your unique area. They suggest red osier dogwood on our piece of bottomland.

Lukem

WKR
I second talking to somebody local. They'll know better what will serve your needs better than any of us really can.

Btaylor

WKR
Too many unknowns to make specific recommendations but will throw out a couple of things to keep in mind. Planting shrubs for cover, travel manipulation, etc can be an expensive proposition. Using plants that are browse preferable ups the cost because you will need to protect them until they are well established. I would encourage not rushing in to a project like that until I had a good understanding of how deer currently use the property and then design the cover plan around accentuating that travel, especially where it improves undetected or low impact access and exit. Will second getting a soil test done as soon as practical. I like waters labs for getting more than the basic extension service test done. The soil test will be important for both shrub and plot planting success so test all areas you intend to work on.