Help on how to hunt these deer

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
First up this is about red deer in aus not whitetail, but there's no international section and the methods I'm thinking of is probably best suited to whitetail.

Pretty much the deer feed in a paddock and at first light cross onto public land that doesn't allow hunting. I know where they normally cross there's kind of a pinch point thats about 50m wide.

The problem is they head up the gully to the fence and the morning thermal always pushes downhill I.e. in their face. Because of this I've never been able to setup for them in a stand and my archery method has been to watch them from the other side of the paddock till they move to cover, leg it over without spooking roos and emus and try to stalk them before they make it to the fence. Only ever worked once and I fluffed the shot.

I've drawn a rough sketch of the layout, just curious how would you whitetail guys hunt these deer with a bow in this situation?

f71da372cb826cf07ad20319cacc85d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jwb300

WKR
Build a few blinds or install tree stands in favourable spots that you can approach in the dark orrrr...... get a rifle.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, couldn't help but laugh reading where you said about spooking the Roos and emus, Bloody Roos and wallabies seem to blow half of my stalks!!

Could you set up in the creek?

Would it give any cover?

Btaylor

WKR
I can not believe I am about to post this but your scenario might be one where an ozonics unit might help.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, couldn't help but laugh reading where you said about spooking the Roos and emus, Bloody Roos and wallabies seem to blow half of my stalks!!

Could you set up in the creek?

Would it give any cover?
I've thought about it but it's too far. There's a fallen part of the fence they cross and at it's closest it's probably 70m.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I can not believe I am about to post this but your scenario might be one where an ozonics unit might help.
Haha it had crossed my mind, I'm not opposed to scent covering with natural scents, but I don't personally agree with using technology to rob a deer of their senses.

Besides I've got a new house and a baby on the way so I'd be dealing with a very angry wife! Haha

Might be a matter of waiting for the day when the wind is right. Maybe the terrain makes that extremely unlikely, but maybe you get your shot eventually. What about digging a pit? see if they smell you if you're below ground.