2018 KANSAS Sheds

Jerm

WKR
Welp another season down and work begins for the next...a few sheds from this winter, most good ones were found a few days ago by our house...big set in the back is a 4 year old buck my wife elected to pass after given a good opportunity this last season....150 class with great potential, and considering his core areas our backyard we may see him again...
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Thanks...it does seem we find less and less sheds each year in Kansas...about 1/3 the amount as 10 years ago...but a few good ones left if you know where to look...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This got me really excited heading over to Kansas Wednesday for some shed hunting. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I found a couple so far, but have seen plenty of bucks still carrying both sides. I saw 3 today with both antlers still. I haven't been out looking to hard yet but maybe I need to be.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did eight miles today around Topeka and nothing. Prime private ground and zip maybe it's still to early?

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Ya its too early for most to shed yet...but historically speaking we find that the majority of old bucks, shed earliest....they must be the first of the herd to drop in testosterone....found many a large bone in late December and January.

...the issue with Kansas is our rapid decline in deer herd numbers...this state has suffered disease and prolific tag dispersal too many years now...if us locals and cooperative non-residents don't get on the same bandwagon of self imposed deer conservation....at least to some extent... the Kansas deer herd is simply doomed....it happened before in my Great Grandpas time.....it could happen again.

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Found a few more good ones....big set and 2 other fresh were found behind our house in the sanctuary again...still some bucks holding.

IMG_9637.jpg

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Thanks...Been a weird winter here...one day in the teens next day 70's sunny...then back to single digits. Has to have an effect on antler drop...always find lots of bloody bases after a super cold snap this time of year...stress=drop in testosterone=bacterial infection starting at the pedicle=white gold!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Impressive, I'm happy to find 1 or 2 most years! I saw a 140 ten point still holding last week so I've been reluctant to head out. Maybe it's time...

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Round here if you don't gobble them up as they fall off their heads, someone else will...our tactics have always been walk everything twice...once early to attempt an inventory and assess another years carnage...then walk again about now through green up(3rd week March). Always find another hand full turkey hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty impressive I easily have 20 internet miles between farms in Kansas and Missouri and found two sheds. I did see a bunch of bucks carrying thier antlers but I figured that was the case. I knew it was a little early but it was my best opportunity to hit the mid west. Hopefully they'll drop out west and I can find a couple
dab569b7c02e972a0cb249b763a46f2d.jpg

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Nice shed man....its pretty slim pickin's here nowadays...unless you live year round here its very difficult to know where to locate the herds at any given time of year.
It takes 10 fold the scouting time now but if you put the time in, there's still good bucks to be had...albeit very educated bucks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice shed man....its pretty slim pickin's here nowadays...unless you live year round here its very difficult to know where to locate the herds at any given time of year.
It takes 10 fold the scouting time now but if you put the time in, there's still good bucks to be had...albeit very educated bucks.
I hear you. I did have access to serval very large farms for shed hunting which is why I thought I do better even early.

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Last weeks haul...Drop tine buck is 10 1/2 years old minimum...been watching him since 2010.
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9853.jpg
IMG_9855.jpg
IMG_9851.jpg

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some nice sheds there. I too don't find many anymore but the bucks seem to be healthier-at least I tell myself that.

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Final shed tally of the year...121 sheds....175 miles...going to be a few big boys next year.
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0181.jpg

SwampBone

FNG
Wow, nice haul!!! If I find an 1/8 of your total it would probably be my best year ever.