Idaho White Tail 2018

I've been counting down the days until I'll become a resident of Idaho according to IDFG standards!

I am looking forward to getting a chance to hunt white tail this fall and possibly elk if the tags aren't sold out. Seen some big bucks while working last summer that I'll try to track down this year. I won't have much time off to hunt this fall, but plan on taking advantage of every weekend.

My goal this spring is to find a few areas near school so I can maximize time out in the field rather than spending it driving. Thought about buying a Potlach permit, but there seems to be plenty of forest service land and farmers doors to knock on.

Who else can't wait for fall?

Is that even a Question??
No doubt brother, its what gets me outta bed every day ...also what keeps me up nights. Its great to live in paradise!
Bunch of turkeys to kill, bears to butcher and pack out and morels and sheds to find before then though.
Might even catch a trout or three... ;)

SWOHTR

WKR
Better to buy the potlatch permit if you're going to hunt on their land...else you may see your truck riding down the road on the back of a semi! Hah.

Nah there's plenty of USFS and BLM here. You can also look in to hunting UI experimental forest land for a quick, near-town hunting opportunity.

Out past Clarkia is some beautiful country, make sure you have the rig to handle the road though.

There's a small patch of the Joe ten miles south of Emida that is an hour and change from town.

Be sure to drive out to St Marie's and the St Joe River Road at least once, specifically out past Avery. That is seriously beautiful country. If you don't know how to fly fish, enroll in UI's PEB class (I may this semester).

Let me know if you want any other info...

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffpg

WKR
I hunted and explored there for 4 1/2 weeks back in ‘08 when I drew my moose tag. I keep meaning to find my way back but haven’t yet. There’s some good hunting in Idaho!

OP
.204smokechaser
Better to buy the potlatch permit if you're going to hunt on their land...else you may see your truck riding down the road on the back of a semi! Hah.

Nah there's plenty of USFS and BLM here. You can also look in to hunting UI experimental forest land for a quick, near-town hunting opportunity.

Out past Clarkia is some beautiful country, make sure you have the rig to handle the road though.

There's a small patch of the Joe ten miles south of Emida that is an hour and change from town.

Be sure to drive out to St Marie's and the St Joe River Road at least once, specifically out past Avery. That is seriously beautiful country. If you don't know how to fly fish, enroll in UI's PEB class (I may this semester).

Let me know if you want any other info...

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! Fishing the St. Joe is on the list. Fished the North Fork and Weitas Creek last year and had fun catching a lot of fish on the fly rod.

Hopefully the snow starts disappearing so I can cover some ground. I plan on looking into the local FS and DOL land around here. Worst case scenario I'll go down to where I work in the summer and hunt.

OP
.204smokechaser
I thought I'd update this thread as I filled my tag last weekend.

I didn't have much time to hunt this year and held out for a buck for 2.5 days. I didn't capitalize on the chances I had and ended up shooting a doe.

I scouted hard this year and learned a lot in the few days I had to hunt. Seen some nice bucks pre season and during the first few days of the hunt and looking to gain more knowledge to shoot a nice buck next year. I learned that the public land around Moscow is packed and will be going down to my spot near the work center next year.

Looking forward to possibly hunting muzzleloader elk and spring bear.

Time to find and shoot some wolves in the mean time. I already miss calculated a shot on one this year.

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I thought I'd update this thread as I filled my tag last weekend.

I didn't have much time to hunt this year and held out for a buck for 2.5 days. I didn't capitalize on the chances I had and ended up shooting a doe.

I scouted hard this year and learned a lot in the few days I had to hunt. Seen some nice bucks pre season and during the first few days of the hunt and looking to gain more knowledge to shoot a nice buck next year. I learned that the public land around Moscow is packed and will be going down to my spot near the work center next year.

Looking forward to possibly hunting muzzleloader elk and spring bear.

Time to find and shoot some wolves in the mean time. I already miss calculated a shot on one this year.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the deer. Moscow is a good hub for a hunter or fisherman. When I was there, my roommate and I lived on the game we got and the occasional steelhead my roommate caught.

Joe, I am looking for a little advise on my next trip to the Bovil/Helmer area which I have two whitetail tags. I hunted that area mainly off Moose Creek Rd a few weeks ago and saw plenty of deer but unfortunately had to cut the trip short due to a broken scope, which may have been a blessing because I am finding myself with time off work all of November to hunt. I was wanting your opinion on timing of the rut, I am thinking of returning to hunt the 14-23 ish, planning on camping off Moose Creek rd and using that as a base camp. I have only ventured as far north as Bovil sounds like I might want to check out the clarkia area ? I am a meat hunter and looking to fill some coolers but wouldn't mind a chance at a rutting buck ! I am very mobile with a solid Atv so looking for advise on areas to hunt during that period, I wasn't there long enough on my last trip to cover much ground but I did see deer every day. I appreciate any advise you might have.
Thank you
Paul

SWOHTR

WKR
I took my previous years’ deer in October, and a coworker took two nice deer in November. Your timing sounds good. Also, my coworker took his in the NF south of Helmer. Good area. I took mine on UI experimental forest lands and never saw another soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Joe, I am looking for a little advise on my next trip to the Bovil/Helmer area which I have two whitetail tags. I hunted that area mainly off Moose Creek Rd a few weeks ago and saw plenty of deer but unfortunately had to cut the trip short due to a broken scope, which may have been a blessing because I am finding myself with time off work all of November to hunt. I was wanting your opinion on timing of the rut, I am thinking of returning to hunt the 14-23 ish, planning on camping off Moose Creek rd and using that as a base camp. I have only ventured as far north as Bovil sounds like I might want to check out the clarkia area ? I am a meat hunter and looking to fill some coolers but wouldn't mind a chance at a rutting buck ! I am very mobile with a solid Atv so looking for advise on areas to hunt during that period, I wasn't there long enough on my last trip to cover much ground but I did see deer every day. I appreciate any advise you might have.
Thank you
Paul

I have taken most of my bucks Thanksgiving week but that is just because that has usually been the easiest week for me to get off and I have often been chasing elk at the same time. If I were just going for deer, I think I would be out hunting 5 or 6 days earlier than you are planning on hitting it.