Going full public this year, done with leasing game

I have been deer hunting for 20 years. I have always hunted both public and private land. I've leased land in my home state in several different counties. But I'm giving up my lease this season and going 100% public land. I'm tired of increasing prices, trespassers, uncooperative lease members and the uncertainty of whether or not you will have your lease year to year. There are 2 national forests and 9 state owned properties within 1 hour drive of me. I've hunted all of them in some,capacity over the years. I'm going to heavily focus on 3-4 of them and enjoy the extra money in my pocket and exploring new country.

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I have a ton of fun doing it that way, it’s a blast finding and scouting new properties every single year.

What state are you in?

Mike 338

WKR
The real fun is in the scouting anyway. That's where public land is holding all the cards. Just start walking and get good and lost. That's how you find little hidy holes. With private land, the hunting may or may not be better but your hemmed in.

Good luck. I live in Southwest Florida but lease in Alabama. I hunt national forest in Ohio. I like both. I had a lease in Florida for decades but its to hot for me anymore. Alabama is easy and fun as its atv access and a camp but Hunting the big timber in Southern Ohio is really more of what I consider the most fun. Its walk in only and rough country.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Good plan! Almost all public land holds quality animals, just harder to pin them down.

Shupe88

WKR
Put some boots on the ground and you will more than likely find a spot better than your lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
Being in the military and not having the time to go back home to Wisconsin to hunt, I've hunted a lot of public ground over the past 6 years. Everyone seems to flock to the large chunks of public and they overlook the small parcels. I've gotten 3 nice whitetails on small parcels of public in the last 3 seasons, and I've only seen one other hunter. Key in on the right habitat and good deer will be there. Good luck!

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
I swore off private years ago. A fellow can eat well off public land. being willing to make certain changes helps; such as bow hunting instead of gun hunting. I can bowhunt and hardly ever see anyone; yet rifle season is a madhouse.

I made the shift to all public for whitetails 3 years ago. I’ve filled an archery buck tag every year. No big deer, but 3+ year old deer. I’ve had a lot of luck late morning and mid day during the rut. Good luck

usneskimo

FNG
draw a range ring, if you can get in past a half mile then you have just eliminated 75% of hunters or more. I have had good luck finding the thickest nastiest stuff in the back of public, knowing that the older deer will hole up when pushed by the masses.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I use to only hint public land until a few years ago. Some other hunters took a shot at a doe that whizzed past my blind and since then I havent been back. Public land is great of you can get away from the public.

diggerak

FNG
I hunt very little private. Kill alot of deer archery hunting public.around here people go were most shooting is. So I bow hunt all year and see very few people

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I paid for a nonresident, guided Alaska mountain goat hunt with money I saved by giving up a membership in an average, private whitetail lease. Additionally, the 28,000 public acres in the same county as the lease has just as good, if not better hunting.

Congratulations on your decision. Enjoy your saved money!

Stan

FNG
You won't regret it. I've hunted public my whole life here in Western Virginia and it's a satisfying way to hit the woods. I've killed some great deer in places that are hard pressured. All these were public land bucks. It can be done if you're willing to go the extra mile literally and figuratively. Depending on your area you plan hunting I can give you a few places to check out if it's the areas I hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_202956.jpg
    IMG_20190102_202956.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 178
OP
T
First hunt of the year opening day archery in NC, Sept 7th. Hunted NW high country, public ground. Saw 6 deer total, 2 does, 2 fawns, one yearling buck and a nice full velvet 10pt. Big boy was too far. Headed back tomorrow. Wind should be perfect for a spot I scouted out during spring. Its a hike to get back to it, a little over 1.5 miles. Should be a solid spot. Tons of sign.