Mineral oil on antlers

Jerm

WKR
Does anyone seal their antlers with mineral oil or anything else?
I've been coating my mount antlers and sheds in food grade mineral oil...really puts the life back in em and seals them....keeps them from dry cracking...plus research shows its a mold preventative...not suppose to yellow ever.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard of anybody doing that. Antlers kept out of sunlight wont crack. Ive got racks from the 70's that look like new with nothing added to them. In our family there are racks that are 50+ years old that look like they were killed yesterday and they have had nothing applied to them. I would think oil would have more of a negative effect than a positive effect.

OP
Jerm

Jerm

WKR
Yes true of most oils...but after much research food grade mineral oil has no ill effects...antlers may not crack indoors but they certainly get very dry...the mineral oil puts the life back in em...I just experimented with a couple a year ago...they look much more vibrant than those I didn't apply it on...many taxidermists suggest everything from liquid gold to old english on them...thanks for your input...thats exactly the info I'm after...

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was told from my taxi to use liquid gold and use it on the hide and antlers. It works imo, 14 yr old shoulder mount looks new yet. It keeps the dust down for a while as well.

Show sheen works well. It's a product they use on horses,
at horse shows. It works on antlers as well as a good cleaner and hair "live shine " restorer when used very lightly on a clean cloth.
Not sure ,but maybe it has mineral oil in it also.
It is easy to over do it, as it takes a very small amount.

NateOne

FNG
Show sheen works well. It's a product they use on horses,
at horse shows. It works on antlers as well as a good cleaner and hair "live shine " restorer when used very lightly on a clean cloth.
Not sure ,but maybe it has mineral oil in it also.
It is easy to over do it, as it takes a very small amount.
Does anyone seal their antlers with mineral oil or anything else?
I've been coating my mount antlers and sheds in food grade mineral oil...really puts the life back in em and seals them....keeps them from dry cracking...plus research shows its a mold preventative...not suppose to yellow ever.
Thank you for the tip. I look forward to trying it.

Zappaman

WKR
I (literally) still have the blood on my elk rack from 1991... that rack has been on four walls from Texas to Minnesota (now in Kansas) and no oil could keep them from shrinking down about 3-4% over that time (I measured them last about 6 years back and they dropped about 10-12 B&C points). Maybe Cabelas can market a horn "growing" oil for horns, eh?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP