2017 Northern Alberta Whitetail

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to share with you guys the whitetail I ended up taking in NE Alberta this past November. I see lots of posts from the lower 48 so figured Id throw in one of my canadian harvests from last year.
Long story short, my in laws are big grain and beef farmers in NE Alberta 10 miles from the Saskatchewan border. I have been hunting their 3200 owned acres for 6yrs and their 12,000 leased acres for 2yrs.
I run 7 cameras over their property, and have had some good bucks on camera. Lots of open farmland so lots of bucks are nocturnel and every year neighbors seem to shoot a good or two I have on camera.
The lease land is showing some real promise, elk have slowly moved in & the whitetail population appears to be really good. Hopefully in another year or two I can pin point some better spots & find some better deer. We cant bait in alberta, and the cows are on the land until 2nd week of October every year. Makes it tough to pin point deer movement.
The grain fields are always killer spots, but bigger bucks are always cautious about sticking their noses out too early before dark. The 2 deer I have shot on their property have both been within 15 minutes of last light.
Not a lot to the story, this guy moved in early November from a non hunting neighbors property. Got pictures of him right away, my in laws land holds a tremendous amount of does and small bucks all year.
PEzIGON.jpg

There was 19 does and 4 other bucks in the field when I shot him.
One shot with my 300wby. Dropped him in his tracks from 180yds. Shot was a little far back, I couldnt get him to stop and was going to lose sight of him within another 15yds.
7LImO9e.jpg

My taxidermist did a great job, and now he lives with my other whitetails in the man cave lol
llcnVwt.jpg

I usually aim to shoot only deer that will go over 150". Well he missed by 1/2". 149 4/8" :mad:
Oh well theres always next year.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
You married well! If you are ever looking to hunter host someone, let me know. That is a great deer.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Gorgeous deer. Congrads.
I'm an Albertan as well. My hunting partners and myself travel north for Whitetail every year. Don't have family in those areas, but we search out remote bush county to get away from people and try to find those old bush bucks. With relatively low deer numbers in those areas, it can be very frustrating, but also challenging and exciting country to hunt. Our experience is some of the best big buck movement is from mid morning to mid day. Sounds like some of the lease country you have access to might be similar big timber areas? You might really enjoy midday in those areas. In the big timber we look for terrain funnels - swamps, ridges, etc. - and hunt all day. You mention a number of deer in the area, so those in timber spots could be really good for midday movement.
Thanks for posting your deer. Couple of inches shy of 150" doesn't matter - gorgeous mature buck.