What State?

Btaylor

WKR
I have hunted 3 different WMA's in MO and a couple in KY. All had good deer populations and nice bucks. Wouldnt hesitate to hunt either state again. Cant help on IN, never hunted up there.

Fitzwho

WKR
Kansas is worth a look. Arkansas has a good amount of public land, but I haven't hunted there yet.

OTC+Archery+Public land = Arizona for Coues Whitetail/Mule Deer to me (you can shoot either/or). Buy a tag January 1 and its good for the January season, and if you don't get one, you can come back in August and December archery seasons and try again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd certainly give Ohio a look. You'll have to draw a tag in Kansas. Missouri is another state I've hunted quite a bit. Had some great times in Missouri.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd throw eastern wyoming, SE MT and North Dakota out for discussion....

Kansas would be top on my list of states being reccomended but the above three are worth noting. The black hills region in wy and SE MT have some very healthy deer numbers (pending ehd or something else doesn't rear it's ugly head between now and then). North Dakota is producing some real giants and is relatively "under-the-radar" yet.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I'd take a good look into Missouri. Reasonable drive for you from Texas. Kentucky has some monsters, and the season starts early, so theres a chance at a velvet buck. And I'll echo what backcountry_hunter said...ND is a pretty money under the radar spot.

TravisIN

WKR
If you decide on Indiana shoot me a message. Pretty good piece of public near me that I have spent some time on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
If you decide on Indiana shoot me a message. Pretty good piece of public near me that I have spent some time on.

Awesome!! Thanks. I've been looking at Indiana and the non resident tags aren't too expensive and there's a lot of public land. It's definitely high on my list.

mcseal2

WKR
It would be worth researching EHD outbreaks before making a decision. I live in Kansas and in my area the number and size of deer is down since we had a bad outbreak in 2012. I found 9 bucks of 140" or better within 2 miles of my house in the creeks and ponds between ranch work and scouting. I was told by a friend that bow hunts hard that it affected older bucks more than most because the velvet antlers are excellent places for the midge to bite. The more inches of horn, the more midges could bite. Most of the deer I found had 10 or 11 points and a larger percentage of the bucks I have seen since are 7-9pt bucks eastern count.

Kansas is still a great deer state and there are still some giant bucks. From what I could gather the northern and eastern part of KS got hit hardest. I have talked to others that don't feel like the EHD affected the herds they hunt much, it varied a lot even within the same county. I would definitely take the time to contact a biologist and ask about recent EHD outbreaks in my hunt planning though in any state. Good luck on your hunt.

NJ is probably the best overlooked WT destination.
Tons of deer and surprisingly good access to public ground.
SE OH would be my 2nd choice and MO 3rd

KSP277

WKR
Kentucky isn’t selling Nonresident tags this year.CWD, EHD, HIV, Bluetounge, zombie apocalypse. They’re all gone and the ones that are left can’t even eat em. I hear Alabama is really nice tho!

TravisIN

WKR
Kentucky isn’t selling Nonresident tags this year.CWD, EHD, HIV, Bluetounge, zombie apocalypse. They’re all gone and the ones that are left can’t even eat em. I hear Alabama is really nice tho!

Cml5895

FNG
South Dakota, there is piles of public land to hunt, sub-$300 tag, and some very very nice deer out there. Plus a tag is good for a mule deer or whitetail.

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say WI along the Mississippi there is a ton of good public. However seeing your coming from Texas, you would do a lot of driving through good deer area to get here.

Sodbuster

WKR
Hoythews71

I'd take a good look into Missouri. Reasonable drive for you from Texas. Kentucky has some monsters, and the season starts early, so theres a chance at a velvet buck. And I'll echo what backcountry_hunter said...ND is a pretty money under the radar spot.

First state I would hit leaving Missouri is Kentucky for a big velvet buck.

The Arizona hunt mentioned above sounds interesting too.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If you are set on OTC licences, Ohio is my choice for what you listed. You can knock on doors and gain permission easily in addition to public land. Cheapest non resident tag I have ever bought.