What State?

If you were going to plan an archery hunt on public land for any state in 2019 for whitetail, what state would you pick? 2 weeks to hunt and would want a state where OTC tags are available. Particularly interested in Missouri, Indiana, and Kentucky but open to other suggestions. For the record I'm not planning on just showing up and killing a big deer but mainly just want to do more out of state hunts, and I'm poor, so public land it is.

bwlacy

WKR
I've done Nebraska and Ohio. I don't think there is a bad choice. Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri are closer for you.

Pick one and just do it.

If you enjoy the hunt and challenge? PA, WV, NY's Adirondacks.
More public land than you'll hunt in a lifetime and you can have an entire mountain to yourself during most of archery.
Regardless of your choice I'd plan to hunt the two weeks after Halloween.

OP
S
Lots of good states to look at. It’s just weird now that I research it a little and see how many states have OTC licenses and lots of public land. I lived my whole life hunting here in Texas where there’s very little public land, and had no idea how affordable it could be to go on out of state hunts and how many options there were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If you werent all the way out in Texas, I would tell u to come to Virginia and I would point ya in the right direction, but there are alot of states between us that are probably better hunting that are closer to ya. Oklahoma, Kentucky, Missouri etc.

Good lucky deciding!!

OP
S
I’ll be in Colorado this year in September on a mule deer hunt. Just thinking of something different for the following year. I don’t mind the drive to go to a really good state.

blackdawg

WKR
Ohio would have to be near the top of list for big bucks. Get in the draw and Iowa produces giants, but will take you 4’years to get the archery tag.

netman

WKR
All three of those states I hunt. All three are very good for big whitetail on public. Higginson Henry in Kentucky is archery only hunting with monsters killed there every year. Ballard county Ky is another really good place.
There is all kinds of bottomland public hunting on the Mississippi River above St Louis. Swan Lake and Yellow Creek areas produce whoppers
In Indiana look at Patoka National Waterfowl refuge near Oakland City Indiana. It’s a new refuge still in acquisition phase of buying property. Real sleeper here.
I live a short distance from two of these.

LostArra

WKR
Squirrel Master: some of these fellas are pulling your leg.
No big deer in Oklahoma. None. Zero. Nada.
Don’t waste the fuel driving up here unless you want this on your wall

f2a05dc287efa4f2a05b000999103f1d.png

netman

WKR
Posting that monsta has all the Cajuns on here blood pumping out of control. Between a Cajun or my brother that buck is in trouble.