Detachable mag or hinged floor plate?

Saxt21

FNG
Looking at upgrading my stock. For a 300 win mag mostly a hunting/range gun. Been toying with the idea of getting a mini chassis with the stock. Curious what everyone’s thoughts and experiences are with the two options. I’ve only ever used the floor plate. Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
In for responses from those more experienced than me.

Personally, I have only ever used a hinged floor plate. While I like the idea of a mag, it just seems like one more thing that could get left behind or accidentally and unknowingly ejected by oakbrush.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
While it’s not the most important feature on a rifle, I like a detachable magazine when I can get one.

Accidentally drop a detachable box and it falls out, if you hear or feel it, you pick it up, put it back in. If you don’t notice, you put in your spare magazine.

Accidentally drop a hinged floorplate and you get to search for your dropped cartridges in the dark/snow/mud/grass.

If you have repeated issues dropping either type, you need to figure a different way to carry the rifle, or put some tape over it.

elkguide

WKR
My Cooper model 56, in .300 Win Mag, has a magazine. I was unsure about it having only hunted with single shot or hinged floorplate rifles. After hunting elk all over unit 50 this fall, the magazine worked fine. The only time that I had any issues was when a magazine fell out of my pocket in the truck. Definitely have a spare for brain cramps like that!

OP
S

Saxt21

FNG
My thoughts exactly. I shoot quite a bit at the range where the detachable mag would be awesome. Only downfall I thought of was when I’m backpacked in there and happens to lose a magazine

carter33

WKR
The rifle I have been using recently has a detachable magazine. I have had it fall out a few times in the chugach mountains hiking pretty steep inclines in extremely thick and wet brush that seemed to grow straight out. That being said every time it fell out I did notice immediately, I was concerned that it would only be a matter of time before I didn’t notice and lost the magazine though. I always bring extra ammo but did not have an extra mag. If going the detachable route again in the future I would want a spare magazine even if backpack hunting for peace of mind.

Whisky

WKR
I had a Manners with one of their older style DBM chassis with the mag release lever that stuck out well past the trigger guard, and more then once I accidentally dropped the mag out while hunting. That was my first and only year with a DBM. Never in all my life have I accidentally dropped the bottom out on a BDL. But, since then Manners has changed the mag release button to where it would be much harder to have an accidental mag drop. I would think they are Ok now but I haven't tried one out since.

If weight is a concern you'll be lighter with BDL vs the DBM chassis.

OP
S

Saxt21

FNG
I had a Manners with one of their older style DBM chassis with the mag release lever that stuck out well past the trigger guard, and more then once I accidentally dropped the mag out while hunting. That was my first and only year with a DBM. Never in all my life have I accidentally dropped the bottom out on a BDL. But, since then Manners has changed the mag release button to where it would be much harder to have an accidental mag drop. I would think they are Ok now but I haven't tried one out since.

If weight is a concern you'll be lighter with BDL vs the DBM chassis.

Very helpful! Thanks for the response that’s the stock and bottom
Metal I was looking to get.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My thoughts exactly. I shoot quite a bit at the range where the detachable mag would be awesome. Only downfall I thought of was when I’m backpacked in there and happens to lose a magazine

Carry a spare.

Though I have to wonder about all these “lost mags”. I’ve carried rifles with magazines for nearly two decades and have never lost a mag, nor had one accidentally fall out.

aron

WKR
I've also have a Manners with DBM with the release lever that sticks out and little force to release the mag. It sucks to lose a $70 mag. I've since resorted to having to tie a string to it and the gun to ensure if it does get released accidently, it won't get lost. My next rifle would probably be hinged floor plate for this reason.

weaver

WKR
I prefer a magazine. Never had one fall out but it's not like the rifle is inoperable if it does happen.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mini chassis = Convenient but heavy.

Without going mini-chassis, most aftermarket DBM is notably heavy compared to BDL. I do like some of the factory DBM offered from Tikka, Browning, Seekins, etc with plastic of carbon mags.

Carry a spare.

Though I have to wonder about all these “lost mags”. I’ve carried rifles with magazines for nearly two decades and have never lost a mag, nor had one accidentally fall out.

My hunting partner has lost one, as has another customer of mine last season. It's rare, but it does happen. I know because they both called and asked for spare mags lol

I'm a BDL guy and recommend it to most everyone. Lightweight, doesn't rattle (common with the AICS mags), low profile, and after the first three rounds I can single feed fairly fast if need be. Also, being that I build a lot of long action magnum chambers, I need a 3.85" mag box most of the time (think 28 Nosler with 195's, or 300 Win with 215's with the proper freebore). Only magazine that'll do this is a 5 round AICS single stack Lapua CIP length magazine. Which protrudes about 3" below the stock line, is heavy, and magazines are $80+. I can run a Wyatts box with either a centerfeed or staggerfeed setup on a BDL and have the same magazine length allowance.

If you have to have a DBM, my favorite recommendation is the HS Precision. Centerfeed double stack with a 3.75ish mag length for the long actions, nice compromise between the factory 3.65" boxes and the Wyatts 3.85".

My .02, worth what you paid for it.

Mike

OP
S

Saxt21

FNG
My hunting partner has lost one, as has another customer of mine last season. It's rare, but it does happen. I know because they both called and asked for spare mags lol

I'm a BDL guy and recommend it to most everyone. Lightweight, doesn't rattle (common with the AICS mags), low profile, and after the first three rounds I can single feed fairly fast if need be. Also, being that I build a lot of long action magnum chambers, I need a 3.85" mag box most of the time (think 28 Nosler with 195's, or 300 Win with 215's with the proper freebore). Only magazine that'll do this is a 5 round AICS single stack Lapua CIP length magazine. Which protrudes about 3" below the stock line, is heavy, and magazines are $80+. I can run a Wyatts box with either a centerfeed or staggerfeed setup on a BDL and have the same magazine length allowance.

If you have to have a DBM, my favorite recommendation is the HS Precision. Centerfeed double stack with a 3.75ish mag length for the long actions, nice compromise between the factory 3.65" boxes and the Wyatts 3.85".

My .02, worth what you paid for it.

Mike

Thanks for the advice that’s very helpful.

KHNC

WKR
I put a detachable mag on my HOWA. It constantly fell out with the slightest bump. Went to shoot an antelope using a fence post for rest. Mag release hit the post and it fell out. Luckily my first shot was money. I eventually ditched it and went back to floor plate.