Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Finished day 4, my legs were still very tired when we started today. Tanya’s IT band was giving her some issues but we made it through. Pushing myself on the 400s was fun... We completed it just over 46 minutes.

I’m very lazy and like the detailed instructions for each workout.

d8260ad7368edafbf10f05b6c1c68cb3.heic

287f6aa4e424da2a14c7b6f97d3d3936.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Finished day 4, my legs were still very tired when we started today. Tanya’s IT band was giving her some issues but we made it through. Pushing myself on the 400s was fun... We completed it just over 46 minutes.

I’m very lazy and like the detailed instructions for each workout.

d8260ad7368edafbf10f05b6c1c68cb3.heic

287f6aa4e424da2a14c7b6f97d3d3936.heic

Not bad, for a 'fat kid'. ;) Keep at it! Your passion for hunting is a great encouragement to many. Thanks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Tanya and I finished day five. Cardio is so damn boring. Will do week two, day one tomorrow. Then I’m going backpacking for bears for a few days, so I will pick it back up after that. So far I’m liking it.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the cardio also. Anything beats the hellish suck-fest of day one! I feel like I just jinxed myself with that statement

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 1:

The 22s

I put in a better effort than last week on this one.

Moved to the intermediate version w/ 5 lb. dumbbells.

7b40039bf7cc98370057a3496d14544b.heic

Lost some time over last week, but increased effort level and max heart rate went to 162.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just completed day one of week two. I was able to get all the way through the 22's this time and even though I'm totally dead now I felt way better throughout the workout.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Day 2 Week 2

2nd try at the “600”

This time I cut the time to 45:59. Almost made the intermediate goal of 45:00.

Just pouring sweat in this one. Might have been the lost water weight, but after the workout today I am down 4 lbs. from my start weight.

One thing to remember: the stationary bike is by far the slowest machine to get to 100 calories.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My take on this program is going to be a bit different than others. I started this program about 2 weeks ago, and its a bit humbling to realize how far out of shape I am in... The last 2 years have been a butt kicker in my world, and fitness (specifically strength training) was haphazard at best. I think they need a two week+ "get ready" course! The part that has worried me the most as I work through this was how much flexibility I have lost! Those warms and cools downs are great. Almost makes me wish they had a bonus video of stretches to do on the off days.

This program is no doubt going to make you "tougher." It's challenges are legit and I think the methodology is sound. With that said from my perspective, there are two issues for me with this program.

1) You gotta have access to a gym
While I list that as a possible con, it has forced me to workout on a regular schedule. I've tried a lot of home / garage programs over the years, and while its great to have that flexibility, its been harder for me to be consistent than I would like to admit. Its much easier to just lace up the shoes and go for a run. Since joining the gym I've hit the gym every workday since I have joined. If I am paying for the membership I am going to use it! So far, I have turned this into a positive.
2) The amount of time each day takes.
I feel so slow! I can't get through the workout fast enough, and I really struggle to get the whole workout in during the limited time I have at the gym. It seems to take a lot of time! Being out of shape makes this worse!
For perspective, Week 1 Day 1 workout is a hard charger of sprints, lunges, push ups, jump squats, and renegade rows. If you can blow that through without stopping then the program will go much smoother for you. If you cramp out half way through, you are going to have to mix things up a bit. : )

From what I can tell this program calls for a 5 minute + warm-up, 40-50 min+ workout (if you are good, the workouts have taken me longer), and 5 min + cool down. To be honest, I am not particularly thrilled to have admit I struggled with this.... I am hoping as I progress I can get each workout in at around 45 mins, or modify each day somehow to make this work. With warm up, cool down, and a shower, I need to create space to be at the gym around 1hr 10mins or so, with the flexibility to stay a bit later on harder days.

To be fair, I am one of those guys who likes to do things right. As I sit here and reflect on this, I'd like to think I am not the only guy that struggled a bit to get the concepts down in the right amount of time. Looking back I wonder if should have kept slogging through and just started week 2, BUT I wanted to get through Week 1 at a higher level than where I started.

If you got a solid hour+ to commit this, and you need to be in top shape in 90 days, this program will be amazing for you. With that said, if you are out of shape, intimidated by the program, and not sure what to do there is one MAJOR pro to this program. You get lifetime access to the 90 day program. So you can do what I am doing, if you need to. You don't have a 90 day clock that counts down and you lose the workouts, they are there and you can always go back and review / work your way through them.

I have backed off a bit, and am trying to get more efficient in my gym time and maximize every moment I have there. I am working my way through week 1 and will probably do variations of that week until after the week of July 4th as I am taking some time off around the 4th. I am hoping my quasi boot will allow me to charge back in and take on week 2 on July 9th. This will get me through the 12 week program by the end of Sept. Hopefully I will get quicker at the workouts as I get in better shape. I am trying to adjust my work schedule so I get more time in the morning (to accommodate harder workouts) and getting my butt out of bed earlier (4am is rough) so I can be at the gym the moment the doors open.

In reality, for me my goal is to establish a routine, and get familiar with working my way through each workout efficiently. In a sense I am going off track a bit and creating a what I refer to as "Hill" Tough. LOL Hopefully I don't discourage anyone, and that in being transparent about my struggles others will see that it is possible for them as well. If you are on the fence, get into the program so you have access to the workouts, and then if you have to, you can figure out where your weakness lies and adapt as needed. Or, just be prepared to spend additional time in the gym the first week or two as your body adapts to the program. I think if I had more time at the gym the first few weeks I could have just plowed through pushing myself to get through each day's workout regardless of the time it took. Ideally this is the best way to do this as it creates both mental toughness and certainly will get your body used to the program.

If you spend some time digging into the videos and concepts you start to get a feel for the massive amount of expertise and time that has gone into developing this program. I am encouraged and excited to see where this takes me. Just a bit frustrated with myself letting my fitness get to this point. Running shape is not mountain shape...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 3:

Ibex

Max heart rate 154.

I did the intermediate version. You really need to have a lot of resistance on the bike to both get your heart rate elevated and get the quad burn going.

I really feel good today.

Feeling daily improvement really boosts the confidence.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, you're killing it. I can almost smell the sweat and maybe a little puke...

I subscribed to MTN TOUGHS e-news and it has some pretty good motivational stories. I really liked this one as it referenced one of my favorite books "Wild at Heart." It gives men and boys permission, encouragement, to be who we were made to be. I liked it so much, I led a men's group on it. Here's the email:

Nate is one of the toughest guys I know.

Last summer he climbed the “Grand” the highest peak in Grand Teton National Park with no climbing experience... just tagged along with some highly trained climbers and was able to hang with them to the top.

Then he decided to sweep an ultra-marathon called “The Devil's Backbone” that's up in postcard elk country at 9,000 feet after a couple of his friends, some of the best ultra marathoners in town, asked him to join them.

And last fall, he killed an incredible bull deep in the backcountry by himself… and packed it out solo.

He’s just a gritty guy that’s up for anything and has the mental toughness to get it done.

But he wasn’t always like that.

When I first met Nate, he was busy running an Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Clinic, raising two active kids.

He was carrying an extra 30 lbs, in his mid-40’s, and elk hunting was starting to get hard. He wasn’t able to hunt the way he used too.

The busyness of life had gotten to him.

The stress had got to him…

When Nate started coming to MTNTOUGH, a switch flipped inside him. He become a completely different man.

He dropped 30 pounds in those first couple months.

Then over the next 18 months, he turned into a complete mental toughness leader. A guy that can grind through almost any workout while he encourages everybody around him. Nothing slows him down. Nothing really stops him.

That led to the Grand Teton climb and the ultra-marathon adventures.

But it’s the story of the bull that gives you an idea of who he’s become.

He was with some buddies and they kept pushing further and further back into some deep backcountry.

His buddies stopped, ran out of gas, and wouldn't go any further. So Nate ended up pushing even farther back on his own and killed that bull.

And because his buddies had aborted the mission, he ended up killing that bull by himself and then packing it out solo.

His new drive, mental toughness, and physical condition allowed him to kill that bull after his buddies quit on him.

I have so much respect for Nate and how he’s transformed his life these last few years.

Undoubtedly, my favorite thing about Nate is he is an amazing father and is constantly taking his two kids on wild adventures.

He is the epitome of MTNTOUGH.

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE MTNTOUGH

One of my favorite books is called “Wild At Heart.”

It’s this idea that men are wired to be in the wild, adventurous, risk takers, and when you start taking that away from us, suppress it or ignore it, life goes down hill.

When we were kids, we we’re naturally playing with sticks and mud and dirt. Taking risks and being wild.

Then we all grow up, get comfortable, start making good money, but our soul’s start withering away, getting destroyed from the inside. Comfort becomes the killer.

We’re not pushing our limits. Not facing our fears. Not going on adventures.

We fall into complacency, depression, and darkness because we stop doing the things we really are wired to do.

The author of the book, John Eldredge writes: “For after years of living in a cage, a lion no longer even believes it is a lion . . . and a man no longer believes he is a man.”

Becoming MTNTOUGH is about owning that part of ourselves.

It isn’t just something for elite athletes...

In fact, most of the guys I look up to and would call MTNTOUGH are men like Nate.

Because becoming MTNTOUGH has more to do with mental toughness and the ability to push yourself beyond what most people are capable of.

It has more to do with your ability to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

To persevere.

To never give up.

To go to that next level.

So you can do things most people can’t do.

So you can face your fears.

So you can go on the hunts that make you feel alive.

So you can be that devoted parent.

So you can become that person others look up to.

That others admire and follow.

Becoming MTNTOUGH is about getting better every single day so you can lead the life that you really want too, not the one that you have too.

Are You Ready?

“All men die; few men ever really live.”

That’s one of the best quotes from Wild At Heart.

I believe it to be true.

And if you’re ready to become part of a new type of community that’s never been done before… and transform your body and mind into a backcountry athlete, I invite you to come join us.

That’s why we created the 90-Day MTNTOUGH Backcountry Hunter Program… to take you through the same journey Nate experienced no matter where you live.

To help you become the best version of you.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to get a new job about 7 months ago, but unfortunately I have been riding a desk and getting fat everyday since. Bought the program Monday night, and started it Tuesday, and can barely walk today. I look forward to this program and the amount of ass kick coming my way. You can tell a TON of work went into designing it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was fortunate enough to get a new job about 7 months ago, but unfortunately I have been riding a desk and getting fat everyday since. Bought the program Monday night, and started it Tuesday, and can barely walk today.

you made me laugh. glad you're on board. Keep us posted as soon as you can walk.