Understanding Proper Peep sight alignment and set up

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
peep sight thumbnail.jpg
Understanding proper Peep Sight alignment and set up with Phil Mendoza - YouTube

Phil Mendoza with No Limits Archery and The Alpha Bowhunting Challenge talks about Peep sights for compound archery. Proper peep sight set up and alignment is a key factor in improving your accuracy. Phil talks about how too big of a peep creates variables as well as too small of a peep. There are many variations to a sight as well as a peep sight that aid in the optimal set up for your compound bow. The biggest factor in the variables that you can encounter with peep alignment starts with understanding how your eyes perceive light in bright and dim situations.
Spot Hogg has introduced sight rings that can be a beneficial tool as well as the Insight peep system from Hamskea Archery Solutions. Links to both of those company's will be below.
Additional tips like this can be found at Championship Bowhunting – Taking your preparation to the next level or Alpha Bowhunting
- YouTube

Spot Hogg archery- SPOT HOGG >> THE WORLDS TOUGHEST ARCHERY PRODUCTS
Hamskea Archery Solutions- Hamskea Archery Solutions | Archery Accessories

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 47736
Understanding proper Peep Sight alignment and set up with Phil Mendoza - YouTube

Phil Mendoza with No Limits Archery and The Alpha Bowhunting Challenge talks about Peep sights for compound archery. Proper peep sight set up and alignment is a key factor in improving your accuracy. Phil talks about how too big of a peep creates variables as well as too small of a peep. There are many variations to a sight as well as a peep sight that aid in the optimal set up for your compound bow. The biggest factor in the variables that you can encounter with peep alignment starts with understanding how your eyes perceive light in bright and dim situations.
Spot Hogg has introduced sight rings that can be a beneficial tool as well as the Insight peep system from Hamskea Archery Solutions. Links to both of those company's will be below.
Additional tips like this can be found at Championship Bowhunting – Taking your preparation to the next level or Alpha Bowhunting
- YouTube

Spot Hogg archery- SPOT HOGG >> THE WORLDS TOUGHEST ARCHERY PRODUCTS
Hamskea Archery Solutions- Hamskea Archery Solutions | Archery Accessories
This was a great video. Keep it coming, Phil!

I'm subscribing to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
Great video thanks. What's your opinion about kisser buttons?

Over the past year I've come to realize my bow shop may not know/care what they're doing. I have underspined arrows, worthless stabilizer, and bows purchased without trying first (can't shoot bows, it's a "liability"). They send every bow out with a kisser button, it never occurred to me it may not be necessary.

brn2hnt

WKR
I watched this video and really started paying attention to my peep. What I noticed is that I had a big enough ring on my housing that I could center the outer edge of the peep inside the housing and still had "wiggle room" in bright light. Is a sight with a smaller housing the solution to this? A new sight is slated for the budget this year, so I figured I would try to figure this out before then.

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Great video thanks. What's your opinion about kisser buttons?

Over the past year I've come to realize my bow shop may not know/care what they're doing. I have underspined arrows, worthless stabilizer, and bows purchased without trying first (can't shoot bows, it's a "liability"). They send every bow out with a kisser button, it never occurred to me it may not be necessary.

Thanks for checking out the video. Compound archery is all about references. From your anchor point to your peep sight, to possibly your kisser (if set properly) to your sight housing. The key is to have good references but not too many that you struggle to properly use all of them. I don't personally use a kisser and never have. I see about half of kissers actually not being used properly, especially when shooting up and downhill shots. Good idea for a video down the line. Thanks

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
I watched this video and really started paying attention to my peep. What I noticed is that I had a big enough ring on my housing that I could center the outer edge of the peep inside the housing and still had "wiggle room" in bright light. Is a sight with a smaller housing the solution to this? A new sight is slated for the budget this year, so I figured I would try to figure this out before then.

Please clarify, What sight are you using? Also, what is your approx. draw length? Do you know what your peep size is? Lastly, are you saying your peep is centering inside your sight housing? What you should be looking for is for the sight housing to fit inside your peep. Not sure if I am reading this correctly to answer your question.
Thanks.
Phil

brn2hnt

WKR
Please clarify, What sight are you using? Also, what is your approx. draw length? Do you know what your peep size is? Lastly, are you saying your peep is centering inside your sight housing? What you should be looking for is for the sight housing to fit inside your peep. Not sure if I am reading this correctly to answer your question.
Thanks.
Phil

I have a 5 or 6 year old Tru-Glo cheapo. Draw length is currently set at 30" with a longer release than my bow shop owner would like to see and a long D-Loop. But the bow only goes to 30" and fit me when I bought it at 19. Shoulders have widened a bit in the last 8 years hence the need to cheat the draw a little. The peep just measured at approximately 3/8 OD, 3/16 ID, and the sight ID was 2 1/8. You are correct in that I am currently able to center the OD of the peep within the ID of the sight. Sounds like I need to move the peep closer to my face to make it appear larger against the sight housing or get a sight with a smaller housing? Thanks again for the help

Mike

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
I have a 5 or 6 year old Tru-Glo cheapo. Draw length is currently set at 30" with a longer release than my bow shop owner would like to see and a long D-Loop. But the bow only goes to 30" and fit me when I bought it at 19. Shoulders have widened a bit in the last 8 years hence the need to cheat the draw a little. The peep just measured at approximately 3/8 OD, 3/16 ID, and the sight ID was 2 1/8. You are correct in that I am currently able to center the OD of the peep within the ID of the sight. Sounds like I need to move the peep closer to my face to make it appear larger against the sight housing or get a sight with a smaller housing? Thanks again for the help

Mike

Hello Mike. Yes you are correct either lengthen the draw to get the peep closer to your face which sounds like isn't an option due to the limitations on your bow. You might also try a 5/16 ID meta peep as this is the largest size I know of and try to move your sight in if possible.
Last option is the most expensive which is a new bow set to your proper draw length.
Good luck with the fixes.

Phil

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome video . thanks .
As a new archer with nobody to mentor me its stuff like this that keeps me afloat lol . I just sent the link via email to my brother who is in the same boat as I .
After watching the video I shot a bit and I seem to have too much room or float ie my sight housing is floating in my peep . I have a dovetail on my sight and actually extended it and it seemed worse lol . Think I will try a smaller peep and double check my draw length when next at the bow shop .

cheers

mrgreen

WKR
Thanks for checking out the video. Compound archery is all about references. From your anchor point to your peep sight, to possibly your kisser (if set properly) to your sight housing. The key is to have good references but not too many that you struggle to properly use all of them. I don't personally use a kisser and never have. I see about half of kissers actually not being used properly, especially when shooting up and downhill shots. Good idea for a video down the line. Thanks

Thanks Phil, looking forward to more videos.

mrgreen

WKR
I seem to have too much room or float ie my sight housing is floating in my peep . I have a dovetail on my sight and actually extended it and it seemed worse lol . Think I will try a smaller peep

Until Phil gets a chance to answer, I just want to point out- moving the sight away will make it look smaller through the peep.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah i found that out lol . I thought it might help . Going to have a smaller peep installed when next i hit the bow shop . Currently have a 1/4 so am going to get a 3/16 . Thanks though . I'm still learning through trial and error so I expect to make many mistakes .

cheers

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
So yes you should move the sight away and go with a larger peep to get the peep to center around the housing, Mike. I mis spoke. Thanks for picking me up guys. If the there is too much float, move the sight in.

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
So would a smaller peep be just as good as moving the sight in if my sight housing is floating inside the peep ???

It depends on how much gap you have between the outer edge of the scope and the inside of the peep. You could try moving it in first, if it doesn't take care of it then go to a smaller peep

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Great video and helpful tips. Had a couple follow up question tuning as it relates to peep sights and how to tune/monitor past the original setup. Would appreciate any and all advice folks may have on this.

The biggest issue I am facing right is that after having a bow shop install new strings last year the peep has started to slowly twist and now is not naturally lining up when I get to full draw. In response my head position is changing to line up to the peep and not vice-versa. Creating a variable in my shot routine. Now the twist is so bad that after each shot I am having to twist the peep back into alignment. Adding even more inconsistencies.

Listened to the Avery Adventures podcast featuring Phil last night. In the podcast Phil mentions the importance of going back to re-tune your bow on a frequent basis. Would doing this help monitor/alleviate the problems I am currently experiencing above. If so, what is involved and what steps are folks taking when peep sight tuning.

Thanks in advance.

- Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Great video and helpful tips. Had a couple follow up question tuning as it relates to peep sights and how to tune/monitor past the original setup. Would appreciate any and all advice folks may have on this.

The biggest issue I am facing right is that after having a bow shop install new strings last year the peep has started to slowly twist and now is not naturally lining up when I get to full draw. In response my head position is changing to line up to the peep and not vice-versa. Creating a variable in my shot routine. Now the twist is so bad that after each shot I am having to twist the peep back into alignment. Adding even more inconsistencies.

Listened to the Avery Adventures podcast featuring Phil last night. In the podcast Phil mentions the importance of going back to re-tune your bow on a frequent basis. Would doing this help monitor/alleviate the problems I am currently experiencing above. If so, what is involved and what steps are folks taking when peep sight tuning.

Thanks in advance.

- Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Josh, thanks for checking out the video. Every bow new bow string will have a break in period. Not necessarily a break in stretch, but more of a process where string serving is settling into the place it naturally wants to settle throughout the shot process. It seems like your string has settled with your peep mis aligned. You should go back to the pro shop that installed if you don't have the ability to press the bow yourself. Sometimes the fix is as simple as adding a twist or taking one out of the string to get the peep to come back straight. Once the peep is coming back square to your eye then you should get in front of a target with an arrow loaded and draw your bow and close your eyes. With your eyes closed you should find your anchor point and secondary references, if any, like touching your nose to the sting, or finding a kisser with the corner of your mouth. Then open your eyes. Your peep should be properly aligned height wise at this point. If not, make the adjustment up or down and repeat the process. Your peep needs to move to the proper placement, you shouldn't have to scrunch to find it or come off your anchor and references to find it.