Wyoming antelope unit 61

Rnolan

FNG
Anybody have any experience in this unit? Drew from what I hear a great unit north of Rawlins, Being nonresident and living 1000 miles away I will not be able to see the unit till we are hunting. I’m not looking for places to hunt just more of a general overview on what to expect how many bucks I should look over before pulling the trigger, area population numbers things like that. Thanks for your time and good luck this fall...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CX5Ranch

WKR
Should be a great hunt. Lots of antelope there. Probably not a lot of public just north of rawlins but north west should be plenty. I was just through there not long ago and saw way more antelope north of douglas.

From memory north of rawlins was a lot of private ranches. I may be wrong also...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
You should see plenty of bucks. Good genetics in this area of the state. If you are patient, you should be able to find a good buck. The northern half of the unit is almost all BLM. The southern half is all checkerboard. You may have some access if there is a county road through some of the BLM sections. A good GPS with the landownership chip will be very helpful. Good luck and shoot a big one!

Unit 61 is split in half by the two top B&C producing counties in the country for pronghorn. There are certainly big bucks in the general vicinity. Hopefully you can get in range of one on public!

desertcj

WKR
You'll probably see about 1000 antelope before you even get to Rawlins! A several hundred bucks in your unit, and probably a hundred on public that you can actually shoot. Out of those hundred, my bet is that you'll see 10-20 whoppers and you will probably be able to get close enough for a shot at a couple of them. See what I'm saying? It's a numbers game so dont shoot the first buck you see, especially in that unit!

Whip

WKR
You're going to see plenty of bucks to choose from. It's just a matter of how large of one you want to hold out for. Don't settle too early - there will be plenty of opportunities to lower your goals a bit after you've had a few days to search for what you're looking for. It's a great unit both in quantity and quality.

was in 62 this weekend, did a drive by on 61 saw lots of Antelope cant speak to trophy potential ( newbie to Antelope hunting) saw plenty in 61 through spotting scope that I would call shooters. BTW nearest hotel is 30 miles.

Trr15

WKR
I drew 60 a few years ago which is right next to 61. You’ll kill a big buck. Don’t settle for anything less than wall-worthy. Public/private land is checkered, the antelope tend to stick close to interstate 80, towns and oil patches. Take a good spotter and binos. Fuel up the truck and take your time.

Jimss

WKR
61 is checkard board (every other section private-public) on the south 3/4 of the unit. The north part has large parcels of public. Antelope will likely be concentrated around water. There may be vast areas with little water this year. You may want to bring chains and a shovel. When that area gets wet it turns to gumbo mud! Take your time and find a whopper. Make sure to bring good optics (binos plus spotting scope for field judging). If you are patient and take your time....you'll know when you see a good one.

wyodog

FNG
Congratulations on drawing a very good antelope tag. I know this area very well. There a plenty of good bucks here and also a few great bucks. As mentioned above the southern portion of the area is checker board, meaning every other section is private.there are plenty of county roads that you can use to travel through this checker board, just be sure that if you find a buck that you like here he is on public ground. There are literally thousands and thousands of public hunting acres in area 61 and once you 20 miles north of the UP RAILROAD tracks the checker board ends. A BLM map and a GPS will get you out of trouble.
As far as what size of buck to shoot..y
That's a hard question to answer. You can find a true trophy here but judging them correctly is the hardest part of getting a big pronghorn is you aren't familiar with this. Not sure if you have experience or not. I reccomend holding out until you find the buck that you will be happy with. Almost forgot...antelope have a tendency to have ground shrinkage so take your time sizing up the buck you shoot. I
The best secrecy I can give you about avoiding ground shrinkage is point out that antelope have black on their face and this will make the horns appear larger than they are. Good optics will help a lot to avoid this.

OP
R

Rnolan

FNG
Leaving Wednesday morning will be hunting at daylight Thursday thanks for everyone’s help I’ll sure let you know how we do!!!

OP
R

Rnolan

FNG
Well we got it done looked over tons of bucks and to sit back and watch them rut very hard chasing doe’s like a cutting horse was icing on the cake. Thanks everyone for your help it is much appreciated.
369302d835f6406c3c93f6488674a0cf.jpg