TX Archery Nilgai

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
Is there a specific list of dates during which this hunt must done? Is it archery? Muzzy? Rifle? Dealer's Choice?

You get a hunt window that you are allowed to hunt the draw units on. The hunts are divided up by hunt area, species on that particular hunt area, weapon type, and depending on the unit there will be several hunt windows.

Are you going to use a bike?

I just got a mountain bike and am trying to figure out what to do for a trailer/game cart.

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
Are you going to use a bike?

I just got a mountain bike and am trying to figure out what to do for a trailer/game cart.

Nah, I'll be hoofing it... I have heard that bikes are the way to go out there though so long as it stays dry.

It may be different with a bike but I'd rather chop my dick off that try to drag one of those monsters out with a game cart again... haha

bigharge

WKR
My brother and I will be down there the 12/7-12/11 as well. First time for us on the Laguna

Merc

FNG
I've never hunted it, but its on my apply list every year.

Have an uncle that did the king ranch years ago and one tactic is to find a fence they've been crossing under and plug all the holes except one you can sit a ground blind on and wait.

Goodluck to y'all that got drawn.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Rockin'A

FNG
We hunt them almost every week down here in Kingsville with clients, most of the time while bow hunting we will set up a blind on a water hole, fence crossing, or a shit pile we have been successful with all of them. But every once in a while we will have someone that wants to spot and stalk them, as long as it is a lone bull its fairly easy just play the wind and watch where you step, but over all much lower success rate than setting up a blind.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I missed out on the draw again this year. I actually missed out on EVERYTHING haha. Guess I'll look for private offerings to supplement my whitetail take.

Good luck this weekend. Hope you get your name all over the board. Can't wait for my turn next weekend.

jrc645

FNG
We hunt them almost every week down here in Kingsville with clients, most of the time while bow hunting we will set up a blind on a water hole, fence crossing, or a shit pile we have been successful with all of them. But every once in a while we will have someone that wants to spot and stalk them, as long as it is a lone bull its fairly easy just play the wind and watch where you step, but over all much lower success rate than setting up a blind.

I’m hunting teniente In January. What is your arrow setup for nilgai? I’m leaning toward a 450-500 grain arrow setup. Nothing fancy just heavy. Also what is your shot placement? I’ve read their lungs and heart are a little higher and towards the neck more than whitetail.

Rockin'A

FNG
450-500 grains total weight would be fine, fixed blade broadheads are best. quartering away shots are best but if they are broadside make sure to tuck the arrow tight againts the scapula. their lungs are farther up than you think.

Holy hell, do these things have good eyes. Skiddish too. Like pronghorn on meth x 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I suck at sitting.

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
Holy hell, do these things have good eyes. Skiddish too. Like pronghorn on meth x 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I suck at sitting.

Welcome to Laguna Atascosa. lol!

We struck out too, had a pope and young class white tail doe with a death wish trotting right at us about 1.5 miles in at unit 8. We had the sunrise directly to our backs and wind at our faces. She couldn't see or smell us, she goofed around at about 20 yards but wouldn't stop until finally stopped broadside at 50 yards. My wife had a perfect shot with her crossbow but wasn't quite comfortable shooting that far so we watched her trot off into the sunrise...

We didn't see any bulls, just the ass end of a few cows as they busted out... haha

My uncle got a bull on Saturday, 190 lbs gutted, head and hide on. That was a workout to drag out of the tall grass.

I saw a huge bull on Sunday. 450+ lbs. He was feeding directly away from me at 375 yards. Passed on the Texas heart shot. He kept feeding right into the brush.

I feel like I was just starting to get things figured out, then it was time to go.