TX Archery Nilgai

jspradley

WKR
I know nilgai aren't pronghorn but still an antelope hunt so this is the closest subforum I could think of to post it in... ;)

My wife and I drew the Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer/Nilgai hunt again for this December in South TX!

Seems the general tactic is to sit over a shit pile and wait for them to make their daily rounds back to it but I'm terrible at that sitting in one place thing.

We drew it last year and saw a shit load of Nilgai, my buddy killed a small bull with his crossbow (yeah yeah yeah no comments lol) and it was an awesome hunt.

Did any other TX Roksliders draw that or have y'all hunted out there before?

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't put in for archery, but waiting on the draw for this rifle hunt. I'm hoping to draw or at least get down there to explore soon. Never traveled that far south from Houston. So therefore, I have nothing to offer! haha. Good luck though.

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
I didn't put in for archery, but waiting on the draw for this rifle hunt. I'm hoping to draw or at least get down there to explore soon. Never traveled that far south from Houston. So therefore, I have nothing to offer! haha. Good luck though.

Nice! I put in for rifle too...some buddies drew it last year and they killed 9 bulls between the two of them. Rifle is a slaughterhouse down there... lol

Let me know if you manage to draw for rifle. I live in League City, if we both draw we should coordinate.

Congrats on the draw! Been putting in for all of the NWR nilgai hunts since they opened them up and have yet to draw... quite irritating to say the least. Good luck and post some pics and an update after your hunt!

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
Congrats on the draw! Been putting in for all of the NWR nilgai hunts since they opened them up and have yet to draw... quite irritating to say the least. Good luck and post some pics and an update after your hunt!

That's so weird considering the draw % is WAY higher than I want to mention here... lol I know they changed over to the TPWD draw from a local system a few years back, are you still putting in on the TPWD page?

I still kick myself for not bringing my camera last year... that won't happen again this year!

That's so weird considering the draw % is WAY higher than I want to mention here... lol I know they changed over to the TPWD draw from a local system a few years back, are you still putting in on the TPWD page?

I still kick myself for not bringing my camera last year... that won't happen again this year!

I should say I've been applying to it since they put it on the TPWD website under the NWR draws, which I think was 4 years ago? Hopefully next year will be the year I get drawn for either archery or rifle.

OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
I should say I've been applying to it since they put it on the TPWD website under the NWR draws, which I think was 4 years ago? Hopefully next year will be the year I get drawn for either archery or rifle.

Well damn... you are just an unlucky dude! lol!!

Im still hoping I draw rifle too... 9 more days until the draw for that! Let me know if you draw rifle this year. We can have a Rokslide Nilgaimaggedon if we all draw haha

robie

WKR
Congrats. Fun place to hunt.

If you are walking around a tank and see a large hole in the ground back away slowly! I nearly shit myself when I walked up on a bunch of tiny gators, thank God momma didn't come out. Had my head down looking at tracks.

I drew rifle and didn't get one but had a chance that I blew. Loved riding my bike around the ranch.

JWP58

WKR
I put in for the rifle hunt. Didn't draw pd canyon, devils river, or the powderhorn. Hope I get lucky.

I've considered putting in for the archery hunt, let us know how it goes.

Ironman8

WKR
Didn’t know we had this many Houston area Roksliders!

I drew the archery hunt in December for LRGV - Teniente for the second year in a row. Solo last year and going group this year. Saw a giant bull last year and a ton of cow but couldn’t get close enough. Hoping this year my group and I can seal the deal.

Also putting in for rifle this year as well. Third year to put in and no draw yet. Hoping this is the year of the Nilgai! Lol

Last edited:
OP
jspradley

jspradley

WKR
Following with great interest. My uncle and I were drawn for the rifle hunt in mid December.

Nice!!!!!! I'm Pending 2nd draw on that one... which means I didn't draw. lol!

Some buddies of mine killed 9 on the rifle hunt last year! The rifle hunt is a slaughterhouse... they aren't that tough to stalk within rifle range, but they book it once they bust you.

Well damn... you are just an unlucky dude! lol!!

Im still hoping I draw rifle too... 9 more days until the draw for that! Let me know if you draw rifle this year. We can have a Rokslide Nilgaimaggedon if we all draw haha

Well no draw for me on either archery or rifle. Good luck bud hope you get a bull or 3 haha

I put in for the rifle hunt. Didn't draw pd canyon, devils river, or the powderhorn. Hope I get lucky.

I've considered putting in for the archery hunt, let us know how it goes.

Put in for those as well and didn’t get drawn haha just like every other year

Mmcan

WKR
Is there a specific list of dates during which this hunt must done? Is it archery? Muzzy? Rifle? Dealer's Choice?