Antelope decoy

HuntNutt

FNG
Headed out for a solo spot stalk archery hunt and trying to decide which decoy to go with. The Fred eichler or the shoot thru decoy. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

RyanCmns

WKR
I tried a ultimate predator a montana cow and antelope they ran from all of the above! Lots of fun but very hard spot and stalk good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
H

HuntNutt

FNG
I have heard it can be tough and more times than not they run the other direction but when you find the right one they will charge the decoy. I'm going during the rut and want to get a decoy to try just looking for the best decoy to use solo.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Heads Up decoy this year and a bow mount and I really like it. I also have the Eichler decoy from Montana Decoy and take the heads up more often than the Eichler one.

RyanCmns

WKR
The next time I go I think I grab a piece of cardboard and glue brush/grasp etc to it and try that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
H

HuntNutt

FNG
Appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to buy one of the shoot thru decoys to try being solo. Just another tool to have with me is all.

I've been in CO the past three weekends using the Ultimate Predator decoy. Most times they would let me get to 80 - 100 yards before just staring at me. I never had one come right at me.

OP
H

HuntNutt

FNG
This will be my first go around with antelope. The rut should be going good where I'm headed I had planned to stalk in to 100 then pop up a decoy.

I just used a stalker buck in Wyoming. One buck ran quartering to me from 150 to 86 then he boogered. Every other buck reacted negatively to it. Maybe it works better when they rut hard? Any way ditched the decoy and got my pronghorn.
7349ac4f8af2e21578f2f82434217396.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
H

HuntNutt

FNG
Nice goat Ridgerunner! I'm completely on the fence with the whole decoy thing. Part of me just say don't even let them know my presence and stalk stalk and stalk

Decoys work great, when the timing is right.

Lots of evidence in this thread that using a decoy before the rut is marginally effective.

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
I was crowed down creepy on a few today..they came at me diagonally, maybe to wind me..put my bow up like horns, seemed to like that too. Missed at 60. Pretty windy