Gillette WY

N2TRKYS

WKR
I killed my one and only antelope in Wright, WY. I shot a 78" buck with a pistol. Unless something has happened, expect to see a lot of antelope.

Good luck.

NoWiser

WKR
Are you talking about Carlile or Gillette ??

Gillette. Carlile might take you 12 minutes.

Seriously, though, I think most people who have not hunted antelope before underestimate how easy it actually is. If you don't set some goals, your hunt will be over before it even starts.

OP
Short Track
Gillette. Carlile might take you 12 minutes. Seriously, though, I think most people who have not hunted antelope before underestimate how easy it actually is. If you don't set some goals, your hunt will be over before it even starts.

I'm a NY deer hunter, who can sit in the woods all day, & not see a single deer. In fact, it's so depressing I thought about giving up the sport. Then I got into guided hunts out west, and hey, there actually are animals in the woods.

No reason for you to punch your goat tag on a doe. 3 days on a guided hunt is more than enough time to tag out on a great goat. I would think upper 70’s should be your goal. Good luck, you’ll have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isu22andy

WKR
Having hunted DIY public land in the area, I can't imagine a guided hunt on private land taking more than about 8 minutes of hunting to fill your tag. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to take a nice, representative buck. You are paying for a 3 day hunt, don't be afraid to use all 3 days.

This - You will have opportunities at a nice buck the first day or something is going seriously wrong. Make sure you can shoot good .

mabrams

FNG
Which outfitter are you going with? Ask them if they have prairie dogs, if they do bring a 17 or a small caliber with LOTS of rounds. Its more fun then shooting the goats. That said, take great care of the antelope as it is one of the best eating animals I have tried.

OP
Short Track
Gillette, Carlile, Moorcraft. What hunt area is it ? and how late does the season run?
How is the late season weather ??

Unfortunately, my original plans didn't work out

There are a few Hunt areas around the towns you listed. 1 and 3 on the Crook county side, and 17,18, 19, 23, 24 on the Campbell county side. The rifle season is generally Oct.1- 31 but some of those could be different. Do I understand that you have the tag but aren't going with a guide now or is it something different?
Weather is about what you would expect in wyoming. Most days should be good but of course there is probable to get some snow storms or even hot days throughout the month.

spaniel

FNG
Unfortunately the best laid plans don't always work out. Anyone need a tag ?....

I don't think tags can be transferred...

I just got back from public land hunting that area. My antelope tag was further east (Newcastle) and we had no problem tagging out opening morning. We went to the Gilette area the next day for mule deer, public land was very limited access, we saw no deer as people had killed a slew of antelope on every piece of public land opening day. If you had private land access, we drove through a lot of that and a ton of nice antelope everywhere. We were a little put off by the signs for $1000 trespass fee and $1000 trophy fee to shoot an antelope, never seen an antelope I'd pay $2K to shoot....

OP
Short Track
I don't think tags can be transferred... I just got back from public land hunting that area. My antelope tag was further east (Newcastle) and we had no problem tagging out opening morning. We went to the Gilette area the next day for mule deer, public land was very limited access, we saw no deer as people had killed a slew of antelope on every piece of public land opening day. If you had private land access, we drove through a lot of that and a ton of nice antelope everywhere. We were a little put off by the signs for $1000 trespass fee and $1000 trophy fee to shoot an antelope, never seen an antelope I'd pay $2K to shoot....

The guides get $2,000 for lodging, meals, guiding, and 1/4-ing. All inclusive.

So you're saying.... there is plenty of land, where I can ring a bell, and negotiate a price to shoot an Antelope ?
Just go out there and wing it ?? with a few bucks in my pocket.
and I have until November 20th to do this...