Gillette WY

I'm doing a guided hunt in Gillette, WY. Never been there. Never even been in Wyoming.

What should I expect ?
Strenuous? or a road side hunt ?

The guide says most get it done on day 1.

Is there anything else in Gillette ?

FURMAN

WKR
Fairly easy terrain. How long it takes you to kill will depend on how picky you are. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FURMAN

WKR
How many days do you have?

Trial153

WKR
I assume your hunting a few days. You should probably hold out for a decent buck. There are plenty of lopes around and you should be into them from the get go with about any half way decent outfitter.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
It is one of the uglier portions of the state. A bit East and it is nice, a bit West and it is beautiful!
Gillette has grown a lot in the past 21 years since I have been going to WY and it is a pretty big town. (wife is from Wy) You could check out Devil's tower, the black hills if you have enough time to head East a bit... or the Bighorn mountains if enough time.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Fairly flat... no trees to speak of. Antelope everywhere no problem there... Definitly not much to do in Gillette. Head to Rapid City or Deadwood... 2 hours away and plenty to do.

Youll see tons, no need to shoot a doe. Did my first antelope hunt with an outfitter years ago in that area. He wanted us to shoot the first thing we saw so he could be done. Even was so kind as to inform us hed drive us to the airport early if we tagged out. My buddy followed his advice on the first buck we saw and shot a tiny one. Just about the time i resign myself to ignore any advice to shoot a buck, a real nice buck comes by and he screams to shoot it...in this case i obliged ;)
Wont openly bash the guy on here cause his cook and guides (from what others said) were good, but not one person from ours or other groups in camp would have gone with him again. We all declined his invite for the following year.
Gonna be a fun hunt for you im sure, kinda like shopping...and the meat is fantastic too!!
Good luck!

FURMAN

WKR
With 3days you can be fairly picky. I would probably shoot anything in the 70s.

There are antelope everywhere. There aren't too many monsters like other areas but lots of nice bucks. Take your time and enjoy the experience. You'll find a good one.

wytx

WKR
Make that outfitter work for you. He should be able to find a mature buck for you. Make your plans clear when you get there , you want a mature buck. He should be above 12 inches, twice the ears length.
Undoubtedly he'll want you to tag out fast, be patient look over some bucks.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of antelope in that area. If you are rifle hunting I think you could hold out for a high 70s goat if the outfitter has some decent ground leased. I hunt close to there but on public. I see plenty of outfitters with their clients on the private. Seems like a pretty relaxed hunt with a lot of it being done from the truck. It is such open country and there are typically enough ranch or oil and gas roads on the private that it is pretty easy for the guide to drive around to most vantage points. Should be a seriously good time. Relax and enjoy it, and I think you stand a good chance of taking a nice buck.

OP
Short Track
How is Carlile, WY for Antelope? I'm talking to a guide out there, seems like a good guy.

How many days do I need to see Devils Tower site seeing ?

Thx!

wyosteve

WKR
Carlile area is ok for antelope. Not quite as good as further west, but should not have a problem getting one. Devils Tower will take a couple hours at most even if you walk entirely around the base.

NoWiser

WKR
Having hunted DIY public land in the area, I can't imagine a guided hunt on private land taking more than about 8 minutes of hunting to fill your tag. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to take a nice, representative buck. You are paying for a 3 day hunt, don't be afraid to use all 3 days.

OP
Short Track
Having hunted DIY public land in the area, I can't imagine a guided hunt on private land taking more than about 8 minutes of hunting to fill your tag. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to take a nice, representative buck. You are paying for a 3 day hunt, don't be afraid to use all 3 days.

Are you talking about Carlile or Gillette ??

Did a guided hunt in Gillette back in '05. I was done by 9am first day. Rolling hills so pretty easy hunt for sure.