Wyoming unit 62 antelope info needed!

CoHiCntry

WKR
Leaving for an antelope hunt next week and looking for some last minute information. Looking at unit 62 it's mostly checker boarded on the south end of the unit so I'm probably gonna try farther north first to avoid this. What I really would like to get a handle on is the terrain of the unit and a good location to base camp out of?

It would be nice to be close to a paved road so my wife & daughter can drive the car up and stay with me for a few days. I have 10 day's I can hunt but they won't wanna stay that long so they will drive a separate vehicle (small car).

I'll be pulling a camper to stay out of. I've never been to this area before so just looking for some general information on places to camp, places to base out of, and of course places where the antelope are thick would be good too! Thanks...

ncstewart

WKR
I can’t pm so guess your inbox is full. Look at Seminole state park for camping maybe. Not super familiar with that area but did hunt 63 this year and did some driving in 62. Call the blm office is Rawlins. They were very helpful and friendly.
Honestly we hauled camping stuff and ended up staying in Rawlins due to it being easier based out of there. Being from Arkansas I didn’t find much that look overly inviting as far as camping went off of 287 north from Rawlins. If you camp in the park you gonna be driving 1 hour or so to get to the west side of unit. Good luck. Goats everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna stop at the BLM office in Rawlins when I get there. I could use a map that shows road names a little better than the one I have. Hopefully find a spot to camp right off of 287 north of Rawlins. Sounds like I should hunt the west side of the unit.

ncstewart

WKR
There was tons of antelope on the east side also by lake. The lake does have vault toilets but no electric hook up. We seen people camped north of Rawlins but it was basically just a camper setting on blm in wide open. No real nice camping in my opinion. If you just want to set your camper in the wide open then it won’t be a problem. You could camp right at start of buzzard road. I think that’s where the other campers were at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
There are private land issues on the south and most of the east side. It doesn't look like the walk-in is still available on the southwest side but the entire south 1/2 of 62 is checkard-board and off limits if you don't have permission to hunt private....unless the mile section of public crosses a public road. There is walk-in available on the NW side as well as a fairly large chunk of public. The little public that is available on the west side gets hit pretty hard.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Buy an onx chip and a GPS so you know where you are at all times with the private.
I just went through a similar situation in unit 48 and the chip and gps were priceless.
Killed my goat on a 1 mile square of BLM that was accessible from a road without crossing private land.

Just got back yesterday. Had 2 Doe tags for 62. as others have said West side has no camping other that the wide open. Which is what I did. The Ferris road is decent. the further North and East you go the more sandy it gets, used 4wd couple times. Rut was in full swing Antelope all over. PM me if you want more specifics.