Wyoming Unit 26 fun

jimney

FNG
My buddy and I drew our first Wyoming antelope tags this year and headed out last Friday for a five day trip, staying in Glenrock, East of Casper. We did a lot of homework and were able to get a couple of good shots and fill our tags Saturday morning. With the locker being right near where we were staying, we dropped off the heads/capes and the meat and left it to pick up the day we were leaving. Can't wait to get the mounts on our walls!
This left us a lot of time to figure out other things to do. We took our turn at some prairie dogs, which was a first for my buddy. He was hooked pretty fast. Nothing quite like exploding varmints! More importantly, we did a lot of calling for coyotes. We ended up with 5 dogs in 3 days of calling. I will say they were very big on average, definitely bigger than here in Iowa and had beautiful fur on most of them already. Our altitude for calling ranged from 4,000 to 7,000 feet and was from the hills/mountains south of Casper all the way up into the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. The walking was as breathtaking as the scenery! We also stumbled into a couple of rattlesnakes, which was exhilarating.
JimBuck.jpg
LucasBuck.jpg
Dog5.jpg
Snake1.jpg
JimScenery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

jimney

FNG
Did you come across any deer?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Seems like there was a muley in every ditch! There were bucks and does all over the place. I wish I'd have picked up a mule deer license, but did not. We also saw a few whitetails, but being from Iowa, I wasn't too impressed with what we saw for them.

Last edited:
…... The walking was as breathtaking as the scenery! We also stumbled into a couple of rattlesnakes, which was exhilarating.

View attachment 80607
Jimney, I know this is an old post but it’s still a great read on your trip & sucess. You look like you’re dressed for cool weather so if it was the case then I’m a bit surprised you had the rattlesnake encounters.I’ve never big game hunted out there but those critters would concern me! 😳 😁Thanks.

OP
J

jimney

FNG
Jimney, I know this is an old post but it’s still a great read on your trip & sucess. You look like you’re dressed for cool weather so if it was the case then I’m a bit surprised you had the rattlesnake encounters.I’ve never big game hunted out there but those critters would concern me! 😳 😁Thanks.
Sorry, I'm just seeing your post. It was chilly on the morning and warm in the afternoons that year. Those rattlers were definitely still doing their things.

OP
J

jimney

FNG
sounds like a great trip. I'm hoping to get drawn this year
It was fun! I've been back out for pronghorn once, plus an unsuccessful trip for muleys. I'm planning on another antelope trip this year. It's always fun!