Hello - Looking for Tough Antelope Areas

dcroxby

FNG
Looking for Off the Path WY Antelope Areas

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself before asking for advice. I currently live in Idaho, and before that Colorado for 11 years. While living in CO I had access to some huge tracts of private land in the eastern part of the state. My buddy and I have killed quite a few antelope between us. We are spot and stalk hunters, and like to hike in as far as we can to get away from roads and people. We generally hunt with pack frames.

We are looking to rifle hunt Wyoming next season. My buddy and I both have 1 point. I'm looking for a unit that will allow us to hike in at least a mile or 3 from the nearest vehicle traffic. Don't need huge numbers of antelope, or monster bucks, just a place where we can get away from the roads. Don't mind some rough terrain or climbing and the quality of the hunting experience is what I'm after. I've been poring over maps for days and have several units that look interesting, but nothing replaces first hand experience. I plan to travel to Wyoming next Spring to look over a couple units if I can find some prospects.

Areas 21, 23 and 88 are on my list.

I've occasionally seen pictures of antelope high up in the foothills, almost at the bottom of the timber. That's my fantasy hunt.
Just looking for leads on Areas that might meet the bill, and are drawable with 1 Special point. I promise to do a full trip report after scouting and hunting to give back everything I learn. Unless you swear me to secrecy in a PM.

Thanks!
Don

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
IMO, 23 is almost impossible to access on public. 21 is doable and has the goats. Not familiar with 88.

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
No advice regarding those units, but I did hunt unit 7 this year. If you are wanting to hike and get away from the roads I would look for the units with the largest walk in areas. By definition you cannot drive into them, which for antelope will lower your competition greatly as well.