Wyoming mud question

Jimss

WKR
I grew up in Wyo and hunt it as often as I can. As anyone knows that has spent time in Wyo the wind can howl. Howling wind can dry the gumbo mud fairly fast but the secret is to keep your eye on the sky and get out of rough, muddy areas as soon as possible before those areas get wet. I often avoid remote areas that I know create muddy messes when I know it's going to rain or snow starts melting. It may also be wise to avoid camping out in similar remote areas......you may be waiting a while for the howling wind to dry things out!

I have always described our mud as mother natures snot. It’s wet, binds to anything it touches, and does not come off without a lot of effort. If I can dig some pictures up from what a typical season looks like I will post them up. It is hard walking when we do get moisture and it turns to mud. I was a couple miles back last year when I slid down a hill and went end over end, including my rifle. We ended up having to start a fire and use a willow bow to clean out my rifle. Now I don’t go anywhere without a boresnake. Chains are a must. This year while deer hunting we met up with a guy from California. Great guy but he was in a little Chevy canyon with street tires. We asked him if he had chains and he pulls this brand new bag of chains out and proceeds to tell us that he just bought them and the guy at the auto store said they would work good. Jokingly I asked well at least you have them and know how to put them on. I was surprised when he said he would have to figure it out if he needed them. My biggest advice, no how to put chains on in the snow and in the mud. Putting chains on in the mud is a little different than in the snow. Both present challenges. Keep a shovel and a hi-lift jack. Randy Newberg has a video he put together for outfitting his new titan and I basically carry what he does. Also, depends on what part of the state you are in but some parts get more flash floods than others. They can cause crazy amounts of water and to flow as well as create mud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with everything people have posted. Bring tire chains and know how to put them on. We lay all of ours out ahead of time and wire the ends together and the half way point together before we put them in the truck so it's not a tangled twisted mess when you need to use them.. makes the process a little quicker which in a freaking snow storm makes all the difference. It's also a hell of a lot easier to put them on before you get stuck, so if it looks like it's going to get sketchy just put them on. That slippery stuff can get you in far worst trouble than just stuck... it can get you in a situation where tire chains wouldn't even help, so as soon as it looks like it's going to get bad just take the time to put them on before hand. Scoop shovel too 100%.

As far as going into areas your afraid of getting stuck on just watch the weather. That happened to me during season the last couple of years, having to move camp further out of an area because if the weather got bad it could be a disaster getting out of there. Makes a little more of a commute with a vehicle where before there may have been none but it's worth that sacrifice to avoid getting stuck back there.

rayporter

WKR
we learned real quick the value of a scoop shovel our first trip west. when we came out the truck was on level but the snow was up to the doors. we had a plain ol shovel an getting the chains on took a while.

ok a story on mud. just western mud not Wyoming mud.

we were shooting prairie dogs and it rained all night on one trip. as I pulled off the black top road the truck went about 50 ft and just slid to a stop. I could tell by the feel that we were on that half inch of snot stuff and quit right away. our field was only 50 yds away. the guys were worried about getting the truck and trailer out- find a farmer or tow truck and all that. ha, I said. lets shoot and I will drive it out by lunch. we carried a table over to the field and shot dogs till lunch when I started the truck and drove out. amazed they were. of course you don't always have 90 degrees and 20 mph wind to dry it.

Last edited:

pkp851

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Coming form Georgia and dealing with our red clay, its a whole different world. The mud will quicly add another couple of pounds to you feet. The area I hunt is mostly high grassy ground and its not so bad up there but once you drop down into the bottoms, you'll get covered up quick.

Jimss

WKR
No one has covered it in this post but another concern in Wyo during later hunts (in Oct) is snow. Deep snow plus wind can drift roads shut in a hurry! Don't forget the shovel!

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
The mud out there is like nothing I have experienced.. Driving is almost useless unless you have an ATV. We were hunting a few miles from our camp when we got about an inch of snow that turned into the most harrowing white knuckle 3 hour ride. Its like trying to roller skate on goose crap... and man does it stick to everything and get into every inch of your truck.