Wyoming mud question

Gooseboy

FNG
Greetings from Michigan, planning a Wyoming antelope hunt 2019 or for sure 2020. Point accumulation has started and the internet research already nearing 40 hours. There is quite some talk about chains for the Wyoming mud if rain or snow with thaw on the trails. I have not seen any info about hunting in this mud as far as leaving the truck. Does the mud also make for difficult walking as in scraping the boots with a pick every 50yds? Thanks in advance and I appreciate this forum, the info has been priceless

Gooseboy

elkguide

WKR
Not a clay type mud but just a slippery mud that will make for some really eye opening, white knuckle rides. At one point this fall, I looked over at my buddy's speedometer and it was reading 0 but we were going down hill at well over 20 MPH! And the best part of western mud is that after a couple of sunny, windy days, that mud will turn right back into the dustiest roads you have ever driven on.

Yes, the mud/grass mixture can stick to your boots and make for a long day of walking. This year it was mostly frozen in the am until it started to thaw out. And typically by the afternoon the wind and sun had dried it out our walk back to the truck wasn't too bad. But midday was terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_115454.jpg
    IMG_20181012_115454.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 182

wytx

WKR
All the stories are true. Hate hunting in wet weather but sometimes you just have to.

Fatcamp

WKR
The good news is it will be in all the crevices of your truck for the next two years as a keepsake of your trip. :)

OP
G

Gooseboy

FNG
Yuk, kinda what I figured but the photo made it look more soupy than what I thought. Thanks

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Wy elk hunt, our rims packed full of mud took a long time in town to just clean the wheels out so it wouldn't shake. That mud is like glue
d8237357193123cb127f0897edcb652c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
It's hard for people to understand the adhesive nature of Wyoming mud. I can't explain it, but it is some sticky stuff.

OP
G

Gooseboy

FNG
chains and snatchem straps on the list and I’ll add a couple extra days of survival food along with a roll of quarters for the the local car wash

JWP58

WKR
Bentonite in the soil is the issue. Frozen = good. Thawed = phucked.

Good tires, tow strap, and friends.

CorbLand

WKR
Not a clay type mud but just a slippery mud that will make for some really eye opening, white knuckle rides. At one point this fall, I looked over at my buddy's speedometer and it was reading 0 but we were going down hill at well over 20 MPH! And the best part of western mud is that after a couple of sunny, windy days, that mud will turn right back into the dustiest roads you have ever driven on.

The best ones are when the speedometer says 30 MPH but you could get out and walk faster. Along with, your pickup is facing West but some how your still going North.

204guy

WKR
Wy elk hunt, our rims packed full of mud took a long time in town to just clean the wheels out so it wouldn't shake. That mud is like glue
d8237357193123cb127f0897edcb652c.jpg

This is a great example of when NOT to drive on the 2 tracks. You want to make all the local ranchers hate hunters, this is how. Those deep ruts will now dry and or freeze and they'll have to deal with that all winter, when feeding cows. I realize you've only got a few days to hunt, but park on the solid roads and walk. Or use an atv. Having chains and straps and all that is great for emergencies to get out, if you need any of that to get in, don't do it.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great example of when NOT to drive on the 2 tracks. You want to make all the local ranchers hate hunters, this is how. Those deep ruts will now dry and or freeze and they'll have to deal with that all winter, when feeding cows. I realize you've only got a few days to hunt, but park on the solid roads and walk. Or use an atv. Having chains and straps and all that is great for emergencies to get out, if you need any of that to get in, don't do it.
We were already done hunting ,tore down camp and that was just getting out of the mountains. I try to minimize ruts and damage the best I can

isu22andy

WKR
Ive been out there twice and never had problems with the mud. I never saw anyone with chains either. I think if you slid off the road where we were hunting the grass and rocks would provide enough traction to get back on it. I could of also filled my tags about 300 times from the pavement as well. We encountered mud, but it was just slick was all , not even close to getting stuck. Most of the roads your on will be rocked anyway (in my unit anyway) . We never ever really drive on the 2 tracks.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming antelope country is dry the last majority of the year, but really scary when it gets wet.

I try not to drive too far off the main roads in wet conditions because the huge ruts I make will continue to infuriate locals for months after I leave. Also, I enjoy the hunt more not worrying about my truck. An unexpected downpour doesn't cut the morning short when I know my truck is sitting on a navigable road. I still carry at least a shovel and a tow strap. There's plenty of rocks and sagebrush stems to use for traction if the vehicle ever gets really bogged down.

Even in the worst weather the sagebrush steppe and bunchgrass prairie don't get too muddy to hike in. There's a lot of litter and soil crust on the ground that prevents the slick mud from balling up too bad. When it does, the sagebrush stems amd bungrasses on the ground are nearly pupose-built for scouring the soles of your boots off. On foot, thing that sucks the most about the mud is sliding down coulees and crawling through it on a stalk.

OP
G

Gooseboy

FNG
Thanks again, good note to make about leaving ruts and also appreciate the intel about sage being a good boot sole cleaner. I appreciate your time and answers