Wyoming with Nine PP

Jimss

WKR
Buzz makes me sound like the scum of the earth? His true colors are starting to shine! There's no wonder he has been ex-communicated from several hunting websites! If you've spent much time on other websites you know exactly what I'm talking about. It is a relief when he gets axed.

Buzz do you happen to know any of the guys I've hunted with and heard directly from them that I've taken full advantage of them? Were any of them sick to their stomach that they burned their points on a horrible unit and paid an outrageous trespass fee with poor quality critters? Heck no! Were any of them overwhelmed with excitement when they harvested great critters? Heck...yes! As you well know, I like smiling faces!

A friend actually emailed me last night with photos of several of the handicapped hunters that he helped out this year. There has to be gobs of satisfaction offering handicapped hunters a great hunting experience! No he isn't a registered guide and yes they were total strangers! Theirs no comparison between volunteering and helping out the handicapped but I certainly get a kick out of taking total strangers hunting in my neck of the woods where I know the game and country well. One of the hunters I hunted with a few years ago was somewhat handicapped (couldn't walk far) and another this year was 80+ years old. Another bowhunter had problems walking far and wanted shots from his longbow at 20 yards or less....we set up on a great waterhole blind where he harvested a monster buck. I was super excited when all of these guys harvested trophy antelope! When I say trophy..I mean trophy class antelope bucks! You are certainly missing out if you aren't willing to share time with others! It may be tough for some of you to comprehend....but I'm not a scum of the earth hunter! I definitely want new found friends to have a fantastic experience and harvest great critters. The only reason I've made such a big deal out of this is because I've been attacked and personally insulted. Do you think I would care less if I was a true scum of the earth?

On a positive note.....Some of you seem to missing out on the fact that the guys I hunt with have fantastic experiences! To them it was well worth the time and expense waiting for a tag. For many of them, it was their first experience hunting the Western US. They all got off to a great start! If you ask any of them about their experience they would all say that it was well worth it to them! That's what's important to me! It really upsets me when other hunters say I'm only doing this for myself! I'm aware of the years they've applied for tags and try my best to make it a trip of a lifetime! The smiles tell it all!

Last edited:

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
You must be one hell of a used car salesman because you seem to have even sold yourself on the BS you're selling.

To the op, whatever you choose to do I hope you have a great hunt, I only know about low point units because I just wanna hunt with my real friends and have fun every year, wish I could help.

BuzzH

WKR
Sebastian,

Piece of advice, that you likely wont take.

When you find yourself in a hole...quit digging.

If you want to go the route of trying to compare who is "willing to share time with others!"...lets have at it.

We can start with just this year...I'll hang a photo of every person I helped and got nothing from other than a higher gas bill, wear and tear on my vehicle and equipment, tired feet, back, eyes, etc.

You want to go first or should I?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think all this bickering back and forth is appropriate on this guy's thread? He just needs a little advice. Why don't you guys take it to a pm or something.
Here is some great advise from me.
You'll never be this close to drawing these units again in your life time take the opportunity to see what they'll all about. You can always build up to four points again and find a place pay a trespass fee to hunt antelope in Wyoming later if need be.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Buzz, no problem! I'm aware of all the political stuff you do in Wyo and compliment you on that! When someone personally attacks my integrity while sitting behind a computer....that's where I draw the line! I take your comments personally! Happy hunting!

I didn't read all the posts...but saw it heading off the rails pretty early.
I think I have the solution to this that will make everyone happy...
...and actually answer the questions/post of the original poster "Tryin"...

Since Jimss isn't taking advantage of anyone and just does it to create life long friendships and have a fun hunt...he should just offer to take Tryin out in one of those units that takes 9 points to draw. He can go with and experience the awesome hunt...help Tryin out...help him judge the bucks and overall that would be exactly the reason he does what he does...he just wouldn't be pulling the trigger. But that isn't the whole reason to go hunting anyway!

If Jimss passes on this idea...well then he may have been suggesting blending points for ulterior motives and Buzz and the others were correct. But if Jimss takes him out without blending points...well then it proves he has good intentions and Buzz and the others where incorrect!

There problem solved...lets move back to helping Tryin out with his problem of having 9pts and give him ideas on units and areas.

Jimss

WKR
I was hoping this post was going to fade but it looks like I'm back defending myself once again! Critics are absolutely right that sharing points isn't for everyone. Some guys enjoy hunting on their own, have lots of experience field judging and hunting antelope, and have numerous Western US hunts under their belt.....have the means for figuring out how, when, and where to hunt public land.

Yes, you are absolutely right that I draw a tag but I'm not taking advantage of anyone. As mentioned above, hunters I've shared hunts with have been somewhat physically handicapped, older age, didn't have time available to scout, didn't have experience field judging and hunting antelope, and preferred access to thousands of lightly pressured private ranch with potential of trophy antelope. There is also the smile factor after they harvest whopper bucks!

How many guys do you know that have waited 10 to 20 years for a special tag and they end up shooting the first decent buck, bull, ram, or mtn goat they see? There is an incredible amount of pressure to harvest a critter on those hunts! How many of you have walked up to an antelope buck or other game and had ground shrinkage? I have a feeling Buzz and others with years of experience hunting pronghorn would admit that antelope are one of the toughest critters in North America to field judge...especially if you are looking for B&C. It usually involves looking over hundreds of bucks in search of one that fits the bill. Some hunters aren't necessarily interested in B&C...but it certainly is sad to walk up to a buck after years and years of applying and a pronghorn buck isn't exactly what was expected! Like I said before, it has been a win-win situation for everyone I've shared hunts with! No this isn't for everyone but there are a lot of benefits for those interested in such a hunt.

I truly love hunting trophy Wyoming antelope. Yes, I would be glad to help Tryin out this coming fall in Wyo for just the "smile factor"...and my invitation is open to him. I know trophy Wyo antelope units well and am always excited to offer advice and help to other hunters! If you take a look at my posts on this and other hunting websites you know how much time I offer hunting advice! Buzz, you are a great guy helping other hunters!

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'd be better off starting a thread every year saying that you need someone with X number of points to apply with you and you will help them out on a ranch hunt that requires a $750 trespass fee.
I don't overly condemn what you do but upfront honesty about the required fee is important, IMHO.

Jimss

WKR
Joe, You make a wise point! This entire mess started out when Buzz and critics found out that I PM'd Trying. You might ask Trying if I included the trespass fee in the first message I sent him? I have nothing to hide and it certainly is to everyone's advantage to get everything out in the open!

I make sure that every hunter I communicate with knows up-front exactly all the fine details. There are no stones unturned and I'm sure to answer every question and concern. I've had long phone conservations with my new internet buddies where we usually share hunting/fishing stories about past and present trips for hours. Buzz and other critics never see this so they have no clue! I've learned from experience that the sooner I point out all the details the smoother things go. If you think about it, why would I possibly want to hide anything from anyone? I've never had a complaint from anyone I've hunted with! Love the smiles at the end of the hunt!

OP
Tryin

Tryin

FNG
Posting in here again to express appreciation for all of the helpful PMs and the healthy discussion.

I am looking forward to next season!

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I've kept up with this thread off and on, but I haven't read the whole thing.

I'm in a similar situation as you Tryin. Friend wanted me to accrue points and go with him, and then he stopped. I now have 8 points and have hunted 2 of the last 3 years on a 2nd choice tag. I do all public land myself. Really with antelope and that many points, you shouldn't need private land. We camp on BLM land, so the cost is gas, tag, and whatever food is needed.

I use Eastman's and GoHunt just to see what they think the blue chip/80+ units are and then swing for the stars in the random draw with a solid backup plan. This past year we went into the special draw to have a better chance at the 2nd choice tag if necessary.

With this many points, I honestly wouldn't try to combine it with a family trip unless they are hiking/hunting with you and have the same drive. That's a lot of years of point building to feel like you need to rush to fill your tag. Go a couple days before the season starts if able and look over a ton of animals.

robie

WKR
Posting in here again to express appreciation for all of the helpful PMs and the healthy discussion.

I am looking forward to next season!

Tryin - My first out of state hunt was WY Antelope unit 90-1. Most amazing and eye opening experience to public land western DIY hunting.

I'm applying this year and if we happen to be hunting near each other I would be happy to come help you glass and judge antelope. Only because I really enjoy looking at antelope, and driving from Texas it really sucks to be done in a day or two and have to drive home.

The first weekend is a rodeo and the very serious and locals who have a buck they have been watching with be doing everything they can to get that buck killed. We went the second weekend and had a blast and shot two 75" goats and we must have looked at 50+ bucks before shooting the first. It really is just that fun.

So unless you become and expert at judging them by the time of your hunt just look at a few and get a feel for the size you are seeing. You won't be able to tell 75" vs 80" across 12 total measurements on the B&C sheet and you won't really care. The worst part about an antelope hunt is pulling the trigger IMHO. Just drive around all day and look at them. Hike a few ridges to see whats on the other side and have fun.

On a hunt with lots of public land in WY you could be done hunting in less than an hour if that's your goal. The biggest buck I saw on my first trip was the first evening driving to the hotel. Nothing about me regrets not shooting him, there is no way I would have wanted for my hunt to be over that fast.

If you have a family member that wants to join you look at getting them a doe tag. 9 points opens up most of the state to you, and you should enjoy how cool the hunt will be and if you love it come back again in 3 or 4 years to an easier to draw unit.

Most of Rokslide isn't like what your thread turned into. It's a great community with some very quality and helpful members. ENJOY!