WY 4 points

Dooger

FNG
Thinking about a WY antelope hunt next year to let my deer points marinade another year in three states.

I’ve never hunted antelope and just sort of want to get one big buck right out of the gate. Then, in the future, I can slow down a bit and fun hunt different lower odds areas.

I have 4 points in WY. Is there a specific unit I should be looking at for a big one?

I know these questions pop up all the time, just bear with me, and yes I’ve done some searching.

Thanks in advance...

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
There's quite a few to list out that you could draw with 4 points. Thats not a lot of points but there's a ton of antelope in wyoming, finding some won't be a problem but I'm not too sure about just going out and finding a big buck right away

Looks like you would have good odds of drawing: 32, 47 type 1 or 2, 48, 55, 73, or 76

Along with that there are about 41 tags you could have drawn last year on a second choice, so you have a lot of options just not a lot of good "trophy" units

Last edited:
OP
D

Dooger

FNG
Can you guys list some trophy units even if it means needing more points? Might wait and do a deer hunt if need be. Gotta admit, I’m a deer guy and spend most of my time researching deer options.

BuzzH

WKR
What size pronghorn do you consider a trophy?

These 2 came from an area a NR can draw with zero points, I picked it up as a third choice as a Resident.

0928171511a_11.jpg

1001171757b_11.jpg

Same 2:

1002171711b.jpg

OP
D

Dooger

FNG
70-80+” would be nice, but I’m honestly not sure how feasible it is. That why I’m asking. There’s a lot of areas I doubt it’d be “easy”, but I don’t want a unit where there’s very few over 60” either.

BuzzH

WKR
Its about 100% feasible to shoot a 70"+ pronghorn in just about any unit in the State...

See post #3.

johnsd16

WKR
Lots of options with 4pp in both the regular and the special. After going for WY goats for the first time this year and doing it with 4pp we learned a lot. If you want a low to mid 70s just pick a unit you can draw and a time to go and just hunt it. If you are looking for high 70s+ you are probably going to be better off getting there early and having some bucks located before the guns go off and be ready to for opener and have plan A-E laid out. We hunted later and ran into some majorly spooky animals and what seemed to be picked over herds. I wouldn’t say we hunted hard by our standards and we turned up dozens upon dozens of 12-13” bucks around 70ish inches by our uneducated guesses. We saw a few better ones on private. We probably didn’t look over enough bucks but like others have said and BuzzH proves, there are high 70s and probably 80+” bucks on public land in units in WY that take just a point or two.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Gohunt would be a good option to help narrow down your unit search. You can filter by points, season and trophy potential, etc. Not sure if there is a free 30-day trial going on right now but I would recommend taking advantage if so. Best of luck!

OP
D

Dooger

FNG
Been pouring over some draw odds and it looks like some of the units I’m really interested in (SW) require 8-10 points. Should I not even bother and burn my points elsewhere? I guess I don’t know if I should be patient or go hunt another area.

wytx

WKR
Lots of good 4 PP areas. Like stated above with work you can find a bruiser in almost any area. Don't overlook the Type 2 tags.

jwatts

WKR
Look through the draw odds for last year and find a unit that you have a decent shot at drawing with your points. Make sure to apply for a sure thing unit as a second choice. We did that this season. We missed out on our first choice, but drew our second. We were able to tag 3 bucks in a day and a half, all on public land in a unit with limited access. We had a ball, learned a lot of about antelope hunting, and still kept our points for later.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hijack but after reading “WY with 9pp” I’m curious where Jimss is in this thread.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Look through the draw odds for last year and find a unit that you have a decent shot at drawing with your points. Make sure to apply for a sure thing unit as a second choice. We did that this season. We missed out on our first choice, but drew our second. We were able to tag 3 bucks in a day and a half, all on public land in a unit with limited access. We had a ball, learned a lot of about antelope hunting, and still kept our points for later.

How did you draw a tag and keep your points?