Average Archery Shot Distance

I'm heading out next year on my first archery spot and stalk antelope hunt. I was wondering what the average shot distance is that you guys have experienced while spot and stalk hunting antelope. I've always heard you have to be able to shoot far to kill them. I can shoot about 7 inch groups at 60 yards and I'll keep practicing in the off season.

Rackmastr

WKR
With a decoy and rut action I've found to be 35-40 yards about average (with quick ranging or estimation on the shot). They come quick and often are inside 45 yards on a really aggressive buck.

For spot/stalk...ya, you're likely best to be proficient at a bit further distance and then set yourself a limit on what you're comfortable with. They are small critters who can move fast.

Jimss

WKR
It's not uncommon to have 15 to 40 mph winds in Wyo! Might be tough shooting very far with winds like that? There are a bunch of factors for a successful stalk. What is the country like where you'll be hunting. It's tough to beat antelope eye-sight. They also have incredible noses. Is there tall sage, deep draws, etc to provide cover for stalks? The rut doesn't really kick in in most Wyo antelope units until the archery season starts....which means a decoy may be pretty tough?

With that said, if you can shoot tight groups at 60 yards you have a decent chance of harvesting a nice spot and stalk buck in decent terrain. You may need to attempt a bunch of stalks before one works out....but that's hunting!

I agree with Jims.

From what I've seen, the majority of spot and stalk guys simply ride around in trucks and get out and take shots and then call it "Spot and Stalk". Getting within 40-50 yds of an antelope in most cases is very very tough. It can be done, but you will put your time in.

Gumbo

WKR
Spot and stalk is the way I hunt them and my average shot is probably 40-45 yards. Longest was 68, shortest about 20. I'd say be prepared for 60 and be comfortable in the wind and shooting from your knees or sitting. Contrary to the above post, getting to within 40-50 isn't that tough with a little practice, patience and learning how to use terrain especially if you aren't picky about the size of the goat. It is easiest during the rut because bucks push their does into little nooks that are often easy to sneak up on. I've had WAY better luck spot and stalk than with a decoy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
you might also fire Jared Bloomgren a PM. He's probably the most proficient antelope killer with a bow that I know. He's on our staff too and a very helpful guy.