Access in WY 25/26/56/113?

We ordered BLM maps for the areas we wanted to hunt. They were about $4 each from the BLM office. They have the lists of maps on their website.

https://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/resources/public_room/gis/datagis/state/huntareas.html

Clicking on the "deer" or "antelope" buttons on the left will give you a map with the areas and names for those maps listed. I hope that makes sense.

Looks like you'll need maps for Kemmerer, Rock Spring and Fontenelle Reservoir. There might be more. You'll have to just look and decide. What I did was once I had the maps in hand in called a local game warden and he told me what roads were county maintained. Usually it's roads with numbers and not necessarily names. Seems like a lot of the named roads were roads named after the family who lived on them. You could also call the county road department and they could list all the roads they maintain.

Having a GPS with the onxmaps chip is worth it's weight in gold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

And as far as pulling over and parking I'm not 100% sure. I did ask the Game and Fish about stopping on the interstate and they said if there is an area to park, then I can stop and park. But I wasn't allowed to cross the ditch, pull along the fence and park. So my brother dropped me off and drove down to the next exit while I chased one antelope. I called him when I was ready for him to come pick me up. The Game and Fish said that was perfectly legal.

All of the other roads that are inside the BLM or state land, you just pull off and park.

bmf0713

WKR
Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll get some maps and do some calling around. Definitely gonna get a gps with the onxmaps chip. Does the onxmap show county roads too or just the property boundaries? Never used it before.

It will show all the interstates, highways, roads and even the majority of the two track roads. All of this overlayed with topographic lines. Keep in mind, most of the state land has a fence around it. You can cross the fence and hunt the property. Some lands, either state or BLM could be leased for livestock. You can still cross the fence and hunt the property. Just because a property is leased to a rancher doesn't mean that the public doesn't own it, so it's still open to the public. Kinda like leasing farm ground here in KY. Even though it's leased, doesn't mean the owner can't enter the property. In the case out west, the tax payers own the property.

bmf0713

WKR
Awesome! Maybe I'll get the GPS and chip now so I can play around with it and get familiar with it. Thanks again for the help! Wish I could buy ya a beer to show my appreciation! I'll add you as a friend and PM ya if I got anymore questions if that's ok? Me and my buddy's are gonna get together this weekend and have a "meeting" (drinking and grilling party) to see what we wanna do. Thanks!

That's no problem at all. And I just remembered something I had posted earlier about maps and finding public land.

You can also use toprut.com. There is a link at the top that says "unit map". Once you click that link, fill in the unit that you want and they will email you the info. Then you can open it up in Google Earth. It will display unit boundaries, contour lines, USFS roads, private land, state land, blm, national forests, etc... All overlayed on top of satellite imagery. You can adjust the opacity, or see thru ability, for each layer. Hope this helps. Good luck!

NoWiser

WKR
Just because a property is leased to a rancher doesn't mean that the public doesn't own it, so it's still open to the public. Kinda like leasing farm ground here in KY. Even though it's leased, doesn't mean the owner can't enter the property. In the case out west, the tax payers own the property.

I know this thread is about Wyoming, but in case someone else would read this, it's not the case in all of the west. State trust land in Colorado is not open to the public for hunting. There are also other restrictions on state land, such as camping in Wyoming.

This is a helpful page for planning a Wyoming hunt.

State Land Access - OSLI GIS

Call the county for a map of the maintained roads. I always keep a copy with me in case it is questioned while I'm hunting.

HookUp

WKR
The wording is entering private land and intent to hunt. I am not sure how swinging a leg over private property air space is entering priavte land with intent to hunt. Like said above may or may not be worth the hassle.

cslater3

FNG
The wording is entering private land and intent to hunt. I am not sure how swinging a leg over private property air space is entering priavte land with intent to hunt. Like said above may or may not be worth the hassle.
Seems like this should be the case

BuzzH

WKR
I have been told by the game wardens in the four units I have hunted in Wyoming that if I corner crossed I would be ticketed. I don't personally care if I would or would not have to pay if taken to court. I do not have the time nor the desire to deal with it. If others want to push the issue go for it.

I doubt that, give me their names via PM and it will be sorted out.

Game wardens in Wyoming have been specifically told to NOT ticket for corner crossing, its not a hunting violation. The State Attorney General, Patrick Crank wrote the legal opinion on corner crossing in 2004, IRRC. The GF Director, Terry Cleveland also sent out a memo, stating the AG opinion and directing wardens that they will not issue tickets for corner crossing.

You can google it all and even call the wildlife division chief for Wyoming, they'll tell you the same thing that corner crossing is not a title 23 wildlife violation and you wont be ticketed by a warden. if you get a ticket it will be from a sheriff.

What I would do is call the county attorney where you intend to hunt and see if the prosecute corner crossing under trespass.

I killed a decent buck 3 hrs ago in 113. You’ll see the obvious access points are limited, there’s only like 3-4 roads that get into the BLM and they don’t go far. That massive patch up in the northwest takes about 4-5 miles of walking to get into from the south. That was my initial goal before I got up there and realized I didn’t have to go that far.

Don’t overlook those tiny strips in all those units you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk