Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy? - An article by Jimmy Tippetts

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Pic-7-1-e1533507689860.jpg

Jimmy is pushing the archery envelope again guys. I had never even heard of anyone using six fletches on their arrows until I saw Jimmy post a photo of a weird looking arrow he was shooting. I was definitely intrigued and told him we needed to hear more about it. Give it a read to see if it's something that could help your archery success.

Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy?

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm going to order some of those fletching and see what happens. How are you setting the jig up? Three fletch then three fletch the gap?

Last edited:

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I've been playing around with 4 fletch Blazers with a 3 deg helical and getting excellent results especially with large 1.5" wide fixed blade broadheads. It is probably similar in rotation as your 6 fletch setup. Very cool test and article.

TheTone

WKR
Interesting, good article. I'm not sure I can make the jump to six fletch but I'm almost 100 % sure my next arrows will be 4 fletch.

FlyGuy

WKR
I just went to the 4 fletch with the Valkyrie system and I'm really happy with them so far.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Slim Jim

WKR
I think I'm going to order some of those fletching and see what happens. How are you setting the jig up? Three fletch then three fletch the gap?

I fletch 3 at 120 degrees and then restart the next three by dry fitting the first one between two of them and then the last two will be perfect when turning the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Ulmer has been shooting 6 fletch arrows for years. Nothing new. I’ve been playing around with 6 fletch since last year. I’ve had good luck. Using 6 tiny vanes I can really make an arrow that is low profile for wind. Too me they are louder than 3 or 4 fletch.

Vanes and arrow combos are berry Personal to personal to bows in my opinion. What works great for some doesn’t always work great for others. Example being I have been shooting 6 tiny vanes with great results. Have a family member that tried some. He compared 6 tiny vanes to three blazer vanes and the blazers shot better for him. Less drop and controls broadheads better. So what works for one person doesn’t always work for everyone.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I went away from my 2" QS's to lower profile vanes, I started fletching them in a 4-fletch. If I went even smaller, 6 would probably have to be the ticket for equal drag for BH's.

amp713

WKR
John Dudley has some info on 6 fletch as well. I've thought about it but i don't know it I really need it. 660 grains with a 4 fletch seems to work pretty well ha

Slim Jim, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by limited number of vane options for the 6 fletch. Why couldn't you do this with any vane?

Slim Jim

WKR
Slim Jim, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by limited number of vane options for the 6 fletch. Why couldn't you do this with any vane?

Sorry I didn’t get right back to you. I was in the mountains hunting. There aren’t a lot of options for the little vanes needed for 6 fletch. You want to use the shorter length and height vanes for this set up.

I became curious about 6 fletch this year after hearing Randy Ulmer talk about it on a podcast. I tested 3 vs 4 vs 6 and when controlling broadheads the 6 fletch was the clear winner for my setup. I'll try to post pics and details soon.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
just fetched up a couple Black Eagle Carnivore's, have to shoot them yet. I was using Flex Fletch silent knights. I tried the AAE, but you need special glues to get them to hold well. I haven't had any issues with the Flex Fletch, just had to use acetone on the fletch, then used gorilla glue (Blue Super Glue). So, I got some FFP-150's from them. They must have changed something, because you don't even have to use the acetone if using a CA glue. They come in at I believe 2.9 grains each, and the fletched up perfect. I use an AAE EZ-Fletch, 1-2 drops of glue per fletch with a q-tip, and a 6" wrap.

cant wait to get a chance to shot at 60. My previous 3 fletch would shot well out to 50, but then start moving around past that. Could be operator error though.

With the EZ-Fletch, just fletch the 1st 3 as normal, then pull arrow out, rotate 180*, and fletch the next 3. Super easy. I used 1 different color to correspond with the spine mark that my arrow's cam with . Makes it easy to see which arrow needs to go with the cock vane clamp.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Slim Jim

WKR
How will the six fletch work with a rip cord rest? Are their clearance issues?

I’ve been back for a week but I just seen this. I use a Hamskea versa rest so I can’t say for sure but ripcords work with Blazer vanes and those are .568 in height as opposed to the elite plastifletch vanes that are .38 in height. A Blazer vane that is 3 fletched on a 5mm + shaft, would need more clearance on depth and width than a 4mm 6 fletch shaft. I really don’t think there would be a problem at all clearing the launcher.