Am I underspinned?

TBarron

WKR
Here’s my setup:

Hoyt RX-1 81lbs
30in draw
557g arrow
28.25in 280 fmj injexion, 2 hit inserts, 150g VPA 2 blade, 3 blazers right helical
282FPS

The issue I’m having is that my papertune looks great and walk back tune looks great, but I can’t get my BHs to correct and they keep hitting high and to the right. I also shot a 150g Iron Will and had the same pattern. Also overall I’m having trouble keeping my groups tight at further distances normal. I get that that’s what typically happens but my anything over 60yds has been pretty inconsistent when I’m usually shooting 4-6in groups at 80. I’m thinking I might be underspinned since most charts are saying that I’m pushing it. Here’s what I’m thinking:

1. Drop to 125g BH and crank down limbs a turn
2. Change to a 4 fletch
3. Try a 260 spine axis with 75g insert built out to same weight

I’m probably overthinking this and I’m just tired from tinkering but what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Simple test may be to screw on a 100 gr tip and see if things tighten up. If they do, it should be a solid indicator that your assumption of being under spined is correct.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Turn your limb bolts down a turn and half ...if it clears up you know the answer.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Thanks for the responses! Trying this. I’m also wondering if I might be getting inconsistent flight from the VPA collar sitting on the rest on arm instead of behind it.

Trial153

WKR
Thanks for the responses! Trying this. I’m also wondering if I might be getting inconsistent flight from the VPA collar sitting on the rest on arm instead of behind it.

I doubt it ...but move your rest back if you can and see..
What ever you do, make one change at time so you know what clears the issue up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would turn the bow down as well.......real easy test for spine. And depending on your rest, you may have to adjust/re-time it after you turn it down.

Also, when BH tuning never try to fix elevation and windage differences at the same time. Fix one, and then the other.

Youre hitting .284 spine with your specs. A fixed broadhead can weaken spine which might've push you over the line. Definitely go down. Might try a smaller vane, those blazers fight 2 blades a bit.

Kindo

WKR
Try out a couple different broadheads. FWIW, I desperately wanted to love my non-vented VPA 3-blades (125 and 150gr) but neither shot well out of my setup (Prime centergy at 73# and 29" draw Easton Axis 260 spine). I tried a couple other broadheads and groups tightened right up for me. In my opinion, most but not all broadheads should fly with field points. I may try tinkering with them again after my elk hunt but for now, I'll stick with what works.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Alright after multiple experiments here’s where I landed.... I ended up going away from the 150g BHs and dropped to 125g. Turned my bow down 1.5 turns and didn’t have to make any sight adjustments. It’s dropping absolute bombs out to 100yds and I’m getting great groups with BHs. Thanks for everyone’s help on this!