I need an equipment upgrade

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to get back into bow hunting for whitetail and elk. I would like some ideas on a compound for hunting, and either a recurve/longbow for fun and possibly hunting. I am 6'4" and have a long reach that I believe restricts my choice of bows. I believe that I had a 31" to 31 & 1/2" draw length. I used to shoot a longbow and a compound instinctively with a glove. More recently I switched to a release and a hunting site. Although I am cross-eye dominant and shoot right-handed, I do not (will not) switch to shooting left handed. Too old to retrained that horse. Rarely do I see bows with a draw length of 31" and never do I see anything more than that. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I believe pretty much all of the bowtech bows go to 31” and the bt-mag x goes to 34”. The Realm x and the Reign 7 I shot both felt great and at some point after this season I’ll be picking up one of those. Good luck on the search for a new bow!

Trial153

WKR
Obsssion makes a really nice LD bow . Horrcon maybe ? Anyway its highly spoken of

Martin makes a great recurve called the DAMON HOWATT HUNTER. It works for longer draw lengths. My own personally is 30 1/2" or about that, and I really like my bow. When I bought my recurve I talked to a lot of knowledgeable people who told me that for the money and unless I wanted to spend a lot of money on a custom recurve that the MARTIN HUNTER was a great bow to get. I do not regret my purchase at all and love that bow! One thing I would think about is what poundage to buy. I shoot a 60# bow at 28" so with my added draw length just like yours the poundage increases. I am pulling about 68-70 #. If I did it again I might get a 45 or 50 pound draw weight and that would give me plenty of speed and capability.

https://martinarchery.com/bows/traditional/hunter/

A longbow to consider might be this one. I had one built for my son by TOELKE ARCHERY and love that thing. It is a reflex-deflex longbow and I shot it before I gave it to my boy as a college graduation gift and I love that thing. Talk about your draw length and these folks can set you up correctly. Wonderful people and the bows they build are amazing. I'm thinking very hard about getting one for myself very soon!

Toelke Traditional Archery: Longbow Designs

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone

I really appreciate the comments and advice. I have seen that Hoyt and am thinking that is the compound for me. Not sure about the recurve versus longbow, but will probably go with the longbow just probably not going to spend a grand on a fun bow. If I go whole hog then maybe a custom bow is in the future. Thanks again all.