Breathing?

Ray P

FNG
Greetings from eastern flatlander! Been lurking here for quite some time as this is the place for comraderi and excellent advice! Been bow hunting since early 90s here and even managed to kill a few deer! Now with kids grown and moved out (son stationed in Nevada. Thats where I caught the western bug), I am wanting to take my archery to the next level. After 6 monthes of practicing, trips to the pro shop, and tuning, Im actually shooting better than ever. So after that long intro, how are y'all breathing during shots? Do you find yourself holding your breath or releasing during the exhale? Also been playing around with the TTH hunt format and that is great stuff. I wish we had that in the deep south. Thanks in advance!

I’m also a flatlander, although it’s somewhat hilly in the part of Ohio that I live. I actually have a big hill on my property that I’ll be climbing regularly to get somewhat prepared for my first archery elk hunt next year. I’m cutting weight right now. Down 20 lbs and have 40 more to go (yea, I’m fat). My Dad has been going out west since I was young and next year we’re going together. I want to learn as much as possible from him so I can pass it along to my kids. As to your question, I take a breath and exhale slowly as the shot goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boreal

WKR
I don’t really try to control when I inhale or exhale, but rather concentrate on slow, regular breathing while I’m shooting my hunting bow. Since the animals are somewhat unpredictable, it’s never seemed to work for me to commit to a shot at a specific time. Keep breathing consistent and practice keeping your pin float consistent throughout the breath cycle. That way you can hold as long as you need to while the huge 6x6 stares you down before turning broadside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Ray P

Ray P

FNG
Anthony.......awesome job! I myself am down 80 pounds to 205 at 48 years old. Keep it up, i am in best shape of my life. It took 1 1/2 years but you can do it!
Boreal.......great advice! Thanks! I never thought of it that way. I posted topic thinking from a target shooting mentality, but you totally gave me a new spin to think of! Ive read where some guys will draw back and hold it for up to 2 minutes before releasing.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Specific to just accurate shooting, everyone has a window where their pin float is at its minimal amount. The best target shooters shit sequence is between 7-12 seconds after they hit their anchor, after that pin float has to be managed. Most also hold their breath and shoot during the respiratory pause like rifle shooters would do. There are times when they hold longer when shooting on a clock /timer or someone like Chance who can hold steady for a minute.

When hunting, everything changes as you are really at the mercy of the animals behavior. If it is unaware of you, your shot sequence maybe normal, but usually you are waiting for the animal to move into a position you can shoot them at and you could find yourself holding for a minute or so.

SoDaky

WKR
"Shit sequence'?
Maybe mine but certainly not the best target shooters.

Catahoula

WKR
I just try to breath normally with shooting arrows. Oh course the heart rate will increase at altitude and when staring down a buck or bull!! Congratulations on the weight loss Ray P.....